Radiation On Dog Food Brand From Usa

goldenluv

HI EVERYONE

I WAS LOOKING INTO GETTING THE HOLISTIC SELECT DOG FOOD RANGE BUT IT COMES FROM USA AND WAS WONDERING DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY DO RADIATION ON IT (TO GET RID OF ANY BUGS AND STUFF) OR DO THEY EVEN DO IT NOW DAYS

THANKS EVERYONE

You cannot bring dog food into Australia (unless 100% synthetic) without an AQIS permit (costly and time consuming).

All food must be either heat treated or iradiated, so yes, they still do use radiation, but whilst it sounds dramatic, it only is if you are a bug or bacteria.

Obviously some people do get small quantities of food items in via various means, but if caught the penalties are severe.

HTH

You cannot bring dog food into Australia (unless 100% synthetic) without an AQIS permit (costly and time consuming).

All food must be either heat treated or iradiated, so yes, they still do use radiation, but whilst it sounds dramatic, it only is if you are a bug or bacteria.

Obviously some people do get small quantities of food items in via various means, but if caught the penalties are severe.

HTH

HI

THANKS FOR REPLYING, I THINK I WORDED WRONGLY THIS FOOD I'M LOOKING AT BUYING IS AT A LOCAL PETSHOP AND WHEN I TOLD A FRIEND ABOUT IT SHE SAID ENQUIRE ABOUT RADIATION CAUSE IT'S FROM USA UNLIKE SAY ADVANCE OR PRO PLAN

From the issues with Orijien (in cat food) I learnt that only dog food which is not processed at high enough temperatures needs to be irradiated when imported into Australia. Some manufacturers (such as the one who makes Orijien) process at a lower temperature to preserve nutrients etc.

I cannot recall where I read it but I read that there are some US made foods which are exempt from irradiation - cannot recall which brands though.

PS - its not good netiquette to type in caps on forums.

Goldenluv, your friends advice is only partially accurate.

Pet food from O/S processed in an AQIS approved facility, or approved by USDA for export to Australia, is not subject to irradiation.

Eaglepack (makers of holistic select) and a range of other super premium brands are not irradiated

Here is a link to Eaglepack's website with a statement on the issue.

From the issues with Orijien (in cat food) I learnt that only dog food which is not processed at high enough temperatures needs to be irradiated when imported into Australia. Some manufacturers (such as the one who makes Orijien) process at a lower temperature to preserve nutrients etc.

I cannot recall where I read it but I read that there are some US made foods which are exempt from irradiation - cannot recall which brands though.

Hi and thank you for your help

I did not know about the capital letters being rude, sorry

This is actually my mum’s profile but I wanted to ask for some info

I have a 9 month old pup that is down to 1cup of food a day and is still not loosing weight

So I’m thinking that the food he is on is to rich for him, so I am thinking of changing and was told to only get Australian because they radiate the others and I just wanted to find out about it

Was wondering about holistic select has anyone used it, did you like it for your dogs

Goldenluv, your friends advice is only partially accurate.

Pet food from O/S processed in an AQIS approved facility, or approved by USDA for export to Australia, is not subject to irradiation.

Eaglepack (makers of holistic select) and a range of other super premium brands are not irradiated

Here is a link to Eaglepack's website with a statement on the issue.

thank you so much poodlefan for that information, have you used holistic select

I use Holistic Select - this is the new branding on Eagle Pack.

It is, in my opinion, one of the best foods on the market. I have not had any issues with putting too much condition on with this food but it can be a very individual thing. Also - remember that the feeding guide on the bag can be on the generous side.

Is your dog overweight? How much exercise does it get? Have you also considered whether it is getting extra food through training treats etc - you should take this into account re daily intake.

Eagle Holistic..........

I feed Holistic Select, no health issues and no excess weight, I do feed my lab quite sparingly but he does tend to pick up weight very quickly on any food :( IMO its one of the best foods out there.

I feed Holistic Select, no health issues and no excess weight, I do feed my lab quite sparingly but he does tend to pick up weight very quickly on any food ;) IMO its one of the best foods out there.

thank you everyone for your advice, i'll defiantly check it out