Reccos On Dog Trainers And Dog Sports In Ipswich Or West Brisbane

OK , My 10 wk old beagle is quite a star (biased lol ) and even before she came home i planned to take her to obedience and agility or have her privatley trained .

BUT my problem is i can not find one in my area or one that piques my interest or im worried i will choose the "wrong" company to train my dog.

I am a begginer beagle owner and only want the best for her. so if i sound naieve (sp) or clueless , its coz i am .

So im after a reccomendation of which comapny to use . I have hear wagtails is good , then on the other hand heard the ipswich agility club arent so good.

i dont have hours on end each day to train Diva the way id like to ( business owner and mum of 2 <4 ) so really like the idea of the 5 day intense training wagtails offer .

and can some one please tell me exactly what "flyball" is , it sounds like fun and is a beagle suitable for agility or doggy sports?

I live in ipswich and will travel as far as durack .

Puppy school at my greenx vet starts at the end of this month . BUT i want more than sit and stay as she can alredy do that.

i tend to babble so to clarify :

* reccos on dog trainers

*reccos on dog sports

in the ipsiwch / bris bane area

Congrats on owning a beagle! :laugh:

Beagles are definitely suitable for a range of dog sports! I train my beagle in obedience but I know a few who do agility, tracking, I've seen one do flyball, lurecoursing etc. The Beagle Club of QLD hold a few lurecoursing days so it's worthwhile checking out their website.

http://www.beagleclubqld.org/

The type of training and club or trainer you choose is largely dependent on what you want to do with her. Do you want a well behaved pet with good basic doggy manners or are you really keen to train her for certain dog sports? I'm in Brisbane myself so I can recommend some trainers here though I'm not sure how convenient they are to Ipswich. I am sure some DOLers from the area will come along and recommend some good trainers/clubs in the area. Most of Daisy's training is done through Steve Courtney from K9Pro who offers a range of distance learning packages you can do which are great :rofl:

http://www.k9pro.com.au/pages.php?pageid=17

ETA: And please don't forget we must have pics! 10 week old beagle puppies are just adorable!!

Edited by huski

hey thanks such a quick reply . I came on here to edit that when i said " i dont have the time to train her as im busy " does NOT mean that i dont have the time for my beagle !

Im after a "trick trained " and well mannered dog , one that can preform cute stunts as come her 3mth vaccs ( and the quarantine period) she will be coming to work with us every day so having her do cool things for our customers would be fun and its stimulation for her body and brain too :laugh:

and of course the agility is important to me as we are an active family so apart from 2 walks a day would love an active doggy too !!!

i dont have hours on end each day to train Diva the way id like to ( business owner and mum of 2 <4 ) so really like the idea of the 5 day intense training wagtails offer .

If you mainly want cute tricks, you can start to do clicker training all by yourself (there are heaps of resources on the internet), and it can easily fit it into your day in several short sessions.

I'm a fairly busy student (yes, there is such a thing!), and I find that clicker training trick sessions fit wonderfully into 10 minute study breaks. :laugh:

choose the "wrong" company to train my dog.

Do you want somewhere you send your dog away to and have it trained, or am I reading this wrong?

Obedience/Agility clubs, etc train YOU to train your dog :rofl:

and she is still going to be a baby at 3/4 mths, so don't expect too many cute and perfect tricks . those big beagle eyes are enough for anyone to fall for , anyhow! :laugh:

Edited by persephone

Tilly , did you have to go on a wait list for the one a tivoli ?

Not a wait list as such. We applied for the next obedience/agility class they were running which starts on 18/4/10. They keep class sizes small so you get more time with the instructors.

They use clicker training so it is about rewarding the dog ...

choose the "wrong" company to train my dog.

Do you want somewhere you send your dog away to and have it trained, or am I reading this wrong?

Obedience/Agility clubs, etc train YOU to train your dog :)

and she is still going to be a baby at 3/4 mths, so don't expect too many cute and perfect tricks . those big beagle eyes are enough for anyone to fall for , anyhow! :(

Wagtails do have a service that they can take the dog for 5 days or come to you for 5 days .. BUT i couldnt do with out her for that long .

"" train YOU to train your dog """ Well , yes .. you know what i mean . by training my dog , i meant ... training me to do it properly :s as sometimes i dnt think im doing it right

I have used clicker training before and know how wonderful it is , before i even got Diva i bought a clicker , But i just cant get Diva to be interested in it .

She knows about foodie treats and doenst even respond to the click yet , i told the vet this and said that she was too young for it :laugh: .... i need a touch up on clicker 101 me thinks .

staranais : Oh the life , what i wouldnt give for "10 min breaks" when i try to clicker train , my 2 toddlers think its party time , the clicker makes them hypo :cry:

The 5 day training where Wagtails comes to you is only an hour a day but is enough to give your puppy the basics. You will still need to train her daily after that, it is just easier as she will know what you are wanting her to do.

If the toddlers get hyped over the clicker then include them in training. Make it into a game and give them sultanas as treats. :laugh: