Hip Dysplasia

Labs4me

Thank you Wayrod for the link. ;)

I think this is being done here in Australia, I think there was a thread about stem cell not long ago and I think at this stage it is a very expensive procedure. A bit like hip replacement surgery, that too is expensive. It does however appear to have great benefits due to the less invasive procedure and also the fact that dogs are showing great improvements in a relatively shout period of time. Hopefully down the track this type of procedure will become more common and affordable as it is proven to be beneficial and effective.

I think stem cell research has many benefits, the more that is done in this area the better off many will be for it. JMO

I am sorry to hear that you were treated poorly by the Vet Nurse. I personally am not a fan of the PennHip System. Each to their own I say.

Bad positioning can be a make or break so to speak for HD gradings. If you haven't already seen this link, please have a look, it may explain a lot for you and also allow you to see what is good and bad positioning.

The Importance of Good Positioning on Canine Hip X-rays

ETA: I have a bitch here who has a total score of 28.....11.17 Grade 5, she has 0.0 elbows.........go figure?.She is now (5 years of age) showing signs of her HD, I don't think this bitch will have a long life as I will not allow her to have a life of pain. Having said that I am aware of a number of dogs with higher scores than the mentioned bitch who have gone on to have a long pain free life and who have not showed any indication of their HD. Each dog is different and as such you have to manage each dog according to the physical signs that develop.

People say that because a dog shows great movement they don't have HD, that is rubbish and has been proven over and over again, the only way to confirm good hips is by xray only. At the end of the day though, Bad hips are Bad Hips. And as for the cause of HD there are many contributing factors. That is for another thread.

I would suggest your girl is showing signs because there is such a descrepency between both hips. A smaller descrepency would reduce the imbalnce of pressure.

Thank you Wayrod for the link. :laugh:

I think this is being done here in Australia, I think there was a thread about stem cell not long ago and I think at this stage it is a very expensive procedure. A bit like hip replacement surgery, that too is expensive. It does however appear to have great benefits due to the less invasive procedure and also the fact that dogs are showing great improvements in a relatively shout period of time. Hopefully down the track this type of procedure will become more common and affordable as it is proven to be beneficial and effective.

I think stem cell research has many benefits, the more that is done in this area the better off many will be for it. JMO

I believe Monash University are undertaking research work in this area. Sorry but I do not have contact details. Let me know if you do happen to find out who? It will be interesting to see the medium to long term results not just for animals, similar treatments may work for people as well.

Omg, what a night, one of my girls has given birth to 7 chocolate puppies (more to come?), looking healthy & strong.

Mother doing we & so far has gone pretty quick for her, tho she getting a little tired now. Hope for her it's over with.

Then just after #7 was born, I got the results back for the hip scores.

Hips 73 Elbows 0 :(

Isn't the maximum score 106?

I would be upset if any of my dogs had HD, but he's special & bond is strong. I watched him being born & spent the 1st 7 weeks with him. By 9 weeks he was with me again.

It's one thing not to be able to breed with him, but if it comes to seeing him suffer any...

From such joy with one of my dogs to a saddening low for another.

Well for now as my boy appears in good health I must focus on this litter just born.

Omg, what a night, one of my girls has given birth to 7 chocolate puppies (more to come?), looking healthy & strong.

Mother doing we & so far has gone pretty quick for her, tho she getting a little tired now. Hope for her it's over with.

Then just after #7 was born, I got the results back for the hip scores.

Hips 73 Elbows 0 :(

Isn't the maximum score 106?

I would be upset if any of my dogs had HD, but he's special & bond is strong. I watched him being born & spent the 1st 7 weeks with him. By 9 weeks he was with me again.

It's one thing not to be able to breed with him, but if it comes to seeing him suffer any...

From such joy with one of my dogs to a saddening low for another.

Well for now as my boy appears in good health I must focus on this litter just born.

Congrats on the puppies

:(