Sydney Raw Food Providers

sas

Hey Guys,

We ran this topic yonky donks ago and I thought I'd see if there are any new suppliers.

I'm personaly looking for someone who sells goat for pet food prices, anyone have any experience there?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I do not buy "pet grade" food for my dogs BARF diet.

Meat that is suitable for pets is a long way from being suitable for human consumption.

It is allowed to contain parasites and is not subject to that same health regulations that

is enforced for human grade meat.

I befriend my local butcher and get a "reasonable" price for all the items I need. "Pet Food"

prices are not worth it in the end for me or my dogs.

If you want to feed raw on a budget then buying minced chicken frames in bulk can go as

low as 50c per kilo. Otherwise Lenards Chicken shops sell minced chicken frames for $1.50

and it is readily available.

PS: Nice avatar sas :laugh:

Edited by tyra20007

Being budget conscious is not the issue here although feeding human grade for a 70kg dog is not always viable!

Some dogs need specific diets because of an allergy - which could include chicken.

Hey sas - I heard a story this weekend about a group of boys from Massey who'd go hunting on the weekends in the Ruahines and take down wild goat. They'd bring it back and mince it in the lounge room (as you do at Massey!), cook it up and serve it to their mates and they were never the wiser they were eating goat mince!

Edited by Danois

Meat that is suitable for pets is a long way from being suitable for human consumption.

It is allowed to contain parasites and is not subject to that same health regulations that

I didn't actually mention anything about low quality meat but thank you for your reply.

I said "Pet Food Prices" - I think you mis-interpreted that.

I own Danes not Chihuahua's so I have to find affordable food as well, I'm currently spending $150 per fortnight on my allergic dogs diet so you can perhaps understand what I'm talking about....I'm not talking about low quality food.

My dog is actually allergic to Chicken.

I mentioned Goat in my post because that is the 'safe' meat I'm looking for.

Edited by sas

Being budget conscious is not the issue here although feeding human grade for a 70kg dog is not always viable!

Some dogs need specific diets because of an allergy - which could include chicken.

Hey sas - I heard a story this weekend about a group of boys from Massey who'd go hunting on the weekends in the Ruahines and take down wild goat. They'd bring it back and mince it in the lounge room (as you do at Massey!), cook it up and serve it to their mates and they were never the wiser they were eating goat mince!

:laugh: Find out who they are for me!

:laugh: Find out who they are for me!

:cry:

It was the groom, best man and MC!

Just go to one of the halls of residence at Massey and I'm sure you'll find a couple of willing volunteers! Just give them a couple of cases of Tui!

Whoa, hold your horses. AFAIK that is actually not true. Before I went raw I spent some time researching the meat industry and the requirements for carcasses bound for pet consumption in NSW. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, carcasses with parasites are wholly condemned, as in thrown out. You can't even use the parts that aren't affected, which is perfectly safe. They also can't sell discoloured meat as pet food, regardless of the reason for the discolouration. And they can't use anything that wasn't slaughtered at at the abbatior by the staff there. From what I could gather, the standard for meat for pet food consumption is still quite high. It is not safe for humans to eat and is processed at separate abbatoirs and stored in separate compounds and transported in separate trucks etc, but IMO the only dodgy thing about it is it sometimes hasn't been bled as thoroughly. Sometimes. Depending who you get it from. I get wings from Cliff at Just Food 4 Dogs and I honestly think the only thing wrong with them is that they are often broken or undersized.

Mince for pets is different to human grade mince in that it can contain all sorts of bits and pieces from the animal. That's all. If you buy it from the shops, it may have been treated with preservatives, and they are often a kind that is banned for use in human grade food. That's the only thing you have to be careful of to my knowledge. By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry I can't be of further help to the OP. I sent emails to a few game meat providers around Sydney a while ago and no one ever got back to me. I've only seen goat in Woolworths occasionally. It wasn't terribly expensive for forequarter pieces, but my dogs didn't like it anyway. It's easier to get game meats at Woolworths stores in the city.

What about fish?

ETA I remember seeing goat at a butcher in Hurstville, now that I think about it.

Edited by corvus

Hi Corvus,

He's been on Salmon for a year prior to being on this Vets All Natural diet, I ran out of V.A.N and gave him Fish for one meal and he had a huge reaction...go figure....dogs are stupid.

I have a Halal butcher close by who has it but it's like off cuts...more bone that meat.

You should go have a chat with the local butchers and you will find they cant get some good off cuts and unwanted meat for good prices, for a while i was getting fresh suckling pig heads for about $2 each, there's some good butchers in the leichardt shopping mall aswell.

I second this request.

I'd also settle for other weird random meats, like camel, alpaca, rabbit, crocodile etc - just on the off chance anyone knows a croc hunter :(

Failing this, can anyone tell me how to get a shooters license? :(

Whoa, hold your horses. AFAIK that is actually not true. Before I went raw I spent some time researching the meat industry and the requirements for carcasses bound for pet consumption in NSW. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, carcasses with parasites are wholly condemned, as in thrown out. You can't even use the parts that aren't affected, which is perfectly safe. They also can't sell discoloured meat as pet food, regardless of the reason for the discolouration. And they can't use anything that wasn't slaughtered at at the abbatior by the staff there. From what I could gather, the standard for meat for pet food consumption is still quite high. It is not safe for humans to eat and is processed at separate abbatoirs and stored in separate compounds and transported in separate trucks etc, but IMO the only dodgy thing about it is it sometimes hasn't been bled as thoroughly. Sometimes. Depending who you get it from. I get wings from Cliff at Just Food 4 Dogs and I honestly think the only thing wrong with them is that they are often broken or undersized.

Mince for pets is different to human grade mince in that it can contain all sorts of bits and pieces from the animal. That's all. If you buy it from the shops, it may have been treated with preservatives, and they are often a kind that is banned for use in human grade food. That's the only thing you have to be careful of to my knowledge. By all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry I can't be of further help to the OP. I sent emails to a few game meat providers around Sydney a while ago and no one ever got back to me. I've only seen goat in Woolworths occasionally. It wasn't terribly expensive for forequarter pieces, but my dogs didn't like it anyway. It's easier to get game meats at Woolworths stores in the city.

What about fish?

ETA I remember seeing goat at a butcher in Hurstville, now that I think about it.

Having visited a couple of "pet food" abbatoirs there is no comparison to human grade. The animals they use are old (diseased, dying) also there is not the refrigeration standards that compare to human abbatoirs. It was a disturbing experience indeed. I have been warned against pet grade kangaroo as it can have parasites as there is no health checks for pet grade food.

I simply stick to my meat from my butcher who does not use all the antibiotic steroid meats that woolworths & coles seem to favour.

SAS - I have asked my local butcher if he can get goat in & what prices it would be - will let you know tomorrow.

I have 2 Dobes to feed and understand that the cost of feeding raw natural can be a little costly but I have managed to get mine down to about

$5per day per dog for dinner mince mix (which includes VAN & quite a few supplements) + about $2 per day in bones from the butcher,

but I do spoil mine a bit - also thankfully (touch wood) I have not had to deal with any allergies with my dobes, previously had a very

sensitive kelpie that drove me nuts with allergies.

Also having a Dane who can't have chicken, I get why sas is looking for 'pet prices'.

I used to buy my mince from the abattoir - never phased me as I figure dogs will bury bones or leave them and have a chew on them when there's maggots crawling in them, so food that's been chopped up on the floor is hardly going to be a problem.

As for the state of the animals, everything was wormed once it entered the property and was actually fed up prior to being killed.

I also routinely worm my dog, so parasites are pretty much covered there.

another idea is to breed your own feeding rabbits, Californian whites or new zealand rabbits are meant to be really good.

Rabbit meat is also very very lean so some sort of fat will need to be added in. also almost free apart from grain for the rabbits.

another idea is to breed your own feeding rabbits, Californian whites or new zealand rabbits are meant to be really good.

Rabbit meat is also very very lean so some sort of fat will need to be added in. also almost free apart from grain for the rabbits.

hahaha I have been thinking about this... and goats too! But is it legal to just breed your own bunnies and then kill them yourself? Not that I think I could, but I'm sure it'd be against the law maybe?

But where do you get them from? I've found Rabbit reallu hard to get.

I second this request.

I'd also settle for other weird random meats, like camel, alpaca, rabbit, crocodile etc - just on the off chance anyone knows a croc hunter :laugh:

Failing this, can anyone tell me how to get a shooters license? :rofl:

Hey,

We've got lots of them here. Just swing by on your next shopping trip. :eek:

And on the way back, stop by central Australia for all the camel you can carry. :D

No help with the others, I'm afraid (crocs ate them all). :rofl:

I've seen it on coles occasionally, but its damn expensive!! I think from memory it was like $30 for a 1kg rabbit.

I vote we breed them in your backyard, sas.... Or, we plan a visit to Mona Vale Golf Course one time soon - it's teeming with bunnies!

Rabbit you can only really get from what ive seen it at some butchers, very expensive tho and not worth it.

Not to sure about the laws on breeding your own Rabbits for food, but i dont see it being illegal.