Ruby's Cruciate Post Surgery Update Thread

As per the thread title, thought I should post an update following her cruciate surgery and post-op recovery phase. It's been about 5 wks since the surgery and she's doing rather well for a 9 yr old. Arthritis is going to be a fact of life for her now, but with a combination of cartrophen and a joint-support supplement, we hope to keep her relatively mobile. Ruby's not as lame as prior to the surgery but she's not using the leg full time yet either. We also need to get her into some kind of rehab, either hydrotherapy (swimming) or underwater treadmill walking.

The fur she had shaved from the first surgery in December is growing in nicely and now the leg fur is doing the same. She has quite a scar on the leg (never mind the one on her abdo!). She has had a few firsts in the past few days: she walked down our stairs the other day for the first time since we moved in last November, AND then last night she got up one step by herself. :o

She seems to be a lot more affectionate with me lately too. I can't complain about that one little bit as she was supposed to be *my* dog but bonded with my OH from the moment she came home. I was always second-best but lately Ruby has taken a shine to me. :o

I hope we continue to see improvement although I'm happy with how she is today, as it's a whole lot better than I expected. The vets are pretty happy with her progress too and everyone at the surgery loves her. :( The whole thing has been so worth it, just to see her on four legs again is pretty amazing. :(