Regeneus Stem Cell Treatment Updates

Hi there, I have not posted for ages but thought I would give DOL some updates. I have been really busy upgrading to a PhD, which took most of my spare time towards the end of last year. Since upgrading our whole research group has moved from UTS to Macquarie University so if any of you are at the university come and say hi to the research group there and see what is going on. I have been training vet hospitals all over the country on how to do the stem cell treatment. Regeneus has set up clinics in the gold coast, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and another clinic in Sydney, Allambie vet clinic. Regeneus has now treated over 250 dogs suffering from arthritis. I am in New Zealand right now to train the Pet Doctors group in the technology. I am really excited to be in N.Z. as this is where I grew up.

Sounds like you are doing some great work. Are you doing any work with Rheumatoid Arthritis? I have a friend with a little dog (about 5) with this and it is crippling him. Enoy your stay in NZ

Edited by helen

Sounds like you are doing some great work. Are you doing any work with Rheumatoid Arthritis? I have a friend with a little dog (about 5) with this and it is crippling him. Enoy your stay in NZ

Hi Helen, sorry for my late response I got really busy in New Zealand. At this stage we have only focussed on treating dogs with osteoarthritis however some of the pets that we have treated have also had a positive result to rheumatoid indicative tests. This does not however always mean that the dog has rheumatoid arthritis. Do you know how your friends dog has been diagnosed? The mesenchymal stem cells that are part of the adicell treatment have a immune modulatory effect so the cells are shown to be effective in immune disease like rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis in people, however rheumatoid arthritis is not often diagnosed in dogs. I would be interested to hear more about your friends dog.

Ooh could you give us a summary of your research? Sounds very interesting.

Hi there again I am so sorry it has taken me so long to reply we treated three poor dogs in New Zealand suffering from arthritis so I was very busy but I am back in sydney now. Thanks for showing such an interest in the research it is very exciting and I am so happy to be able to be involved. The research group is looking at the immune modulatory, anti-inflammatory and tissue regenerative capabilities of fat derived stem cells, these cells have amazing capabilities a lot of research has been done around the world already but there is always more to know and investigate. The research group are very focussed at the moment at what the cells are secreting and what properties these secretions have. You can have a look on www.regeneus.com.au to see more if you like. I hope this helps.

Hi RVN - you HAVE been very busy and I'm pleased to hear this research is continuing.

Stupid question this is going to be, but I need to know I've asked it so I'll put it out there.

If a dog has a crushed vertebrae in its neck, can your work help her? I ask on behalf of someone I know so it is not my dog and although she's told me about it, I get a bit vague on the full details. I do know that anti-inflammatories are used to help and so I wondered if what you are doing is likely to provide wondrous results (don't we all wish for those?).

I believe some sort of intravenous stem cell treatment is being conducted on her now, involving a treatment once a month. It's apparently fairly new (at least to the attending Vet) so we're waiting for time to tell us the likely success (or not) from this treatment. Not to suggest we're expecting a cure. But it would be nice if the treatment could reduce the pain that has a tendency to flair up. In the interim, this dog is reasonably comfortable although has a tendancy to limp in the fore. The dog is a lovely Rotty and is 4 years old, a wonderful disposition and a happy, alert dog.

Edited by Erny

Hi RVN - you HAVE been very busy and I'm pleased to hear this research is continuing.

Stupid question this is going to be, but I need to know I've asked it so I'll put it out there.

If a dog has a crushed vertebrae in its neck, can your work help her? I ask on behalf of someone I know so it is not my dog and although she's told me about it, I get a bit vague on the full details. I do know that anti-inflammatories are used to help and so I wondered if what you are doing is likely to provide wondrous results (don't we all wish for those?).

I believe some sort of intravenous stem cell treatment is being conducted on her now, involving a treatment once a month. It's apparently fairly new (at least to the attending Vet) so we're waiting for time to tell us the likely success (or not) from this treatment. Not to suggest we're expecting a cure. But it would be nice if the treatment could reduce the pain that has a tendency to flair up. In the interim, this dog is reasonably comfortable although has a tendancy to limp in the fore. The dog is a lovely Rotty and is 4 years old, a wonderful disposition and a happy, alert dog.

Hi Erny,

This sounds like a terrible problem, how did the dog crush the vertebrae do you know? I do not know if AdiCell would be effective for this injury as it may be very difficult to inject the cells in the place where they are required. From what you describe I think intravenous treatment may be the most beneficial, stem cells are shown to have homing capabilities and will migrate to sites of injury and inflammation. I would be really interested to know which veterinarian is doing the treatment, do you know if the treatment is from bone marrow cells or from fat derived cells? It sounds really exciting!

I really hope the dog does well, please let me know,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca. I will see if the person who owns the dog will be able to come into DOL and post here, or PM you. If not, I'll try to ascertain some more info and will post again with that.

Hi there, it is my rotty that is undergoing the treatment. Thanks Erny :( I have no idea how she hurt herself. When she was about 14 months old there was an almighty yelp from the back yard, she was outside with one of my breeders dogs and my Ridgeback. The breeders dog was a calm beautful dog so I am sure it was nothing to do with her. Probably playing too hard with RR. She was very subdued when she came back in a when I was stroking her on her back she yelped and the pain seemed to down around her back end. Took her to the vet who decided she had hurt her tail............... It may not have been that time she is a very high drive dog and there were probably many instances when she could have done it and being the stoic tuff breed that they are she showed no signs. It was only diagnosed with x-rays about 6 months ago to try and determine the source of her limp in her front right leg (she has HD which I already knew about).

The stem cells are sheep pancreas given IV, fat I believe but could be wrong. I would rather not say who the vet is as I really don't know how public it is from his point of view. Suffice to say it is no back yard practice. Her neck goes in to spasm and she is in extreme pain for 12-24-48 hours. The first treatment was 5 weeks ago. I have to say there has been a marked improvment in her energy levels, we are going on longer walks now and she is playing a lot more energetically, play bows with spins which I haven't seen for a long time. The second treatment was on Monday and I am told that that is it, whatever improvement we get now will be it. I just hope this helps her, surgery is not an option. It think the fact that she is still young, 4.5 is in her favour. She may have more pain from her hips than I know too as she does have quite bad degeneration and this could have been relieved too. It would be so nice if they could tell you wouldn't it.

Now I just need to transplant some drive out of her :grouphug: The last neck spasm she had she we sitting in the kitchen with me with her head at the odd angle it gets when she is in pain and a small moth flew by. Despite the discomfort she was in she still took a snap at it bless her :grouphug: