New Border Collie Mum From Hp

Nic.B

Hi Everyone

Floss & her bubs appear to be doing really well, they are a wonderful family.

The puppies are doing well in lapping puppy milk and today have done very well with tiny, tiny bits of good quality raw mince scramled through with their milk.

Obviously I am very new at this & would like to offer them the best I can.

Is there a recommended diet that is able to be offered for puppies of 3 weeks? Is a mix of different foods & textures recomended? or is puppy milk based products combined with a couple of simple consistent meat based products the best?

My feeling is to keep things pretty simple & consistant for now.

Thanks in advance

Hi Nic B

When I started to feed my 3 week old pups, I wet the dry food with Di-Vetelact and blended it in to a consistancy of pumpkin soup and would let them lap that and then I just gradually added the mince. Once they had that under control I then would just wet down the dry food and add the mince and then by they were 7 weeks they were getting dry food with mince. Hope this helps

Cheers :laugh:

Thank You for your advice Bonduca :D

I am using Di-Vetelact, the puppies really enjoy this, though I have not used a combo with dry. I use a good quality dry food for my own dogs & fosters though will now get something puppy specific.

The puppies are ready to eat independantly in many respects & are up for the challenge so to speak.

Thank you very much for your help & advice

Hey BB.

I've always started offering the solids to the rescue litters at 3 weeks and sometimes younger as often the mums haven't been in good condition when they've come in. I start with raw mince mixed with Divetalact to make a milky milkshake. When they're eating that well I cut down on the Divetalact and start adding soaked Advance Rehydratable. Once they're eating that well I gradually cut out the mince and then gradually stop hydrating the Advance until they're eating the dry food well. I also give them chicken carcasses to chew on and similar things like that.

I will confess that I will probably try feeding my first Fauve litter primarily on raw but I figure that most of the rescue dogs are going to be fed a commercial dog food so it is simpler to start them on one.