Advice / Suggestions Needed

SearchJane

Hi

Next week we are flying from Perth to Qld to pick up our new puppy. :laugh: Initially the plan was to have a week's holiday at my in-laws farm and then pick the pup up, get on the plane and fly home. However there has been a change of plans and now we will be picking the pup up when we fly into Qld and the travelling to the farm and then travelling home a week later.

I am extremely concerned about the pup picking up parvo and want to know what people would advise to minimise the risk of this happening. I have no idea how we will toilet the pup whilst we're travelling as it will want to explore its environment and I feel that places where we stop to let him (eg parking areas) out will be high risk areas.

There is no way the breeder can hold on to the pup (they are going away) so that is not an option.

Could the pup receive a parvo shot this weekened (I would have to ask the breeder to arrange this)? The pup is now 8 weeks old.

Thanks for your help.

Jane

Hi

Next week we are flying from Perth to Qld to pick up our new puppy. :laugh: Initially the plan was to have a week's holiday at my in-laws farm and then pick the pup up, get on the plane and fly home. However there has been a change of plans and now we will be picking the pup up when we fly into Qld and the travelling to the farm and then travelling home a week later.

I am extremely concerned about the pup picking up parvo and want to know what people would advise to minimise the risk of this happening. I have no idea how we will toilet the pup whilst we're travelling as it will want to explore its environment and I feel that places where we stop to let him (eg parking areas) out will be high risk areas.

There is no way the breeder can hold on to the pup (they are going away) so that is not an option.

Could the pup receive a parvo shot this weekened (I would have to ask the breeder to arrange this)? The pup is now 8 weeks old.

Thanks for your help.

Jane

Jane, your pup should have had its first vaccination at 6 weeks. As a youngster and until its had its full course of shots, it is at very high risk. I would not toilet the pup in any regular public roadside stop and I would not be letting it wander about.

Are there dogs on the in-laws farm? Are they vaccinated? If not, I'd be coming up with a Plan B very quickly.

Can you ask the breeders to look after the pup until you are ready to fly out? I agree, I wouldn't be taking the risk of allowing the pup to toilet anywhere unless I was 110% sure it was safe, even vaccinated dogs can bring parvo back if they've walked through an area toileted on by an infected dog. At 8 weeks your pup has had one needle and it's immune system will be fighting between the vaccination antibodies and the maternal antibodies so is at an all time extreme of vulnerability. Do not take the risk. If worse comes to worst, get your in-laws to section off a part of the laundry if possible or anywhere on tiles, get a crate, lots of bleach, vet bed for toileting and lots of time to play indoor games with puppy.