Parvo In Brisbane

SeeGee

Western Sydney is having an 'outbreak'.

Prior to April, we saw 2 cases in 18 months. We've seen 5 since Monday this week, and several a week over the rest of the month. If the message got to the people who SHOULD be vaccinating (those people who have puppies that have never been vaccinated) then it would be a good thing. Unfortunately, the more common scenario for us is a completely unvaccinated pup with no funds for treatment - by that time it's too late to explain that even one well timed vaccination would have been cheaper than a consult and parvo test.

Rappie,

Could you give me an idea of what area this would be?

Cases that we've seen have been from Blacktown, Mt Druitt, St Mary's, Granville off the top of my head.

It has made the papers today in Queensland. The Queensland Times has a story - I will give you a summary for those who are interested..."MORE DOGS HIT BY DEADLY PARVO BUG".

"Greencross Moreton Redbank Plains-based clinic had this month already seen 15 dogs diagnosed with the deadly virus...Dr Kennedy's (Greencross Director) warnings comes just two months after Dr Campbell from Booval Vet Hosp told the QT that incidents of the virus were on the rise...In 1 case this month, 7 pups from 1 litter were affected, and 2 required hosp treatment...The amount of parvo cases we see fluctuates over time but at the moment we are seeing lots of cases coming in...Most cases requiring hospitalisation where dogs are not previous immunised, cost between $500 & $1000, He estimated vacc costs were between $70 & $100...We as vets and dver nurses hate seeing dogs coming in with parvo & it breaks our heart to see ppl realise they can't afford to pay for treatment and they have to go with euthanasia because of that...It can spread via dog-to-dog contact, or via contaminated soil and grass, where it can survive and infect dogs for up to 5 years...Puppies can take 3 vacc from 6-8wks, 10-12wks and 14-16wks, with booster shots for each following year."

Decent sized article, including photo of vet and dog. I left a lot out of the summary, but above summarises it pretty well.