Won't Settle At Night

bridie

I am my witz end as to what I should do.One whole end of my pergola is sectioned off with colour-bond for the fur kidz and their kennels.My male is always the first ready and quite willing to go to bed.During the day they are free to roam,used only to sleep in.Three weeks ago my bitch was in season,so brought her inside.Male really performed by scratching on the colour-bond gate & howling,didn't you hear it ! ;) Let him roam free ,put the bitch back in the kennel run,that was no better,he started scratching on the out-side of the gate.Male back to the kennel,bitch inside house again.

Got over those two long weeks,ever since although they are now together in the kennel run he is still continuing to rattle the colour-bond gate,starts probably 1-2 hours intervals after he has been put to bed,then has another go at 2a.m.before the 5a.m.rattle, at this stage I let him out.I am in residential,if I was on acerage perhaps I could try ignorance.The gate is attached with 2 hinges,top & bottom to a post therefore all the noise is when he scratches where it is slack in between thus the noise.I have put up a heavy duty play-pen on the inside of gate and surround but he manages to pull this around& out far enough to get between it and the gate.I have threatened water to no avail,he just ducks into his kennel.

I have just read some "crate" links,if I tried this I think he would howl the place down,I need to correct this behaviour asap , I want some sleep,can some-one else give me some ideas as to what they did in similar situation, as to what I should be doing. :D

He is 3 years old& I have had him for 5 months,great little dog in all other aspects, just wish he would settle at night .Yes,he is a Cheeki-Chi

Thanks folks

P.S.

Had another look at colourbond fence gate,I will add another 2 brackets to stop the slack,it is only about one metre high,so hope to hear from some-one in the meantime with a better slant on this for the long term.

Edited by bridie

At first his behaviour was due to your bitch in season, now i think it has become a learned behaviour. Most likely every time he did that particular behaviour you went out there, to either try and stop the behaviour as it was in progress or did a verbal reprimand. Either way he might have now realised that every time he does this you come out. Maybe you should post this in the training thread and they could let you know how best to overcome it.

I'm not sure if this is the right prognosis, just my first opinion :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Behaviour-wise, this is a tough one because even going out in the night to correct him is going to be *reward* and certainly, letting him out is just *ideal* in his mind! :cry:

My suggestions is to continue trying to block with the puppy pen, do fix the gate with a few more brackets and .....

pick up some old carpet to throw over the whole gate area so if he scratches it doesn't make the noise :thumbsup:

That will certainly make it easier to ignore him during the night as long as he doesn't get too frustrated and start barking. :D

At first his behaviour was due to your bitch in season, now i think it has become a learned behaviour. Most likely every time he did that particular behaviour you went out there, to either try and stop the behaviour as it was in progress or did a verbal reprimand. Either way he might have now realised that every time he does this you come out. Maybe you should post this in the training thread and they could let you know how best to overcome it.

I'm not sure if this is the right prognosis, just my first opinion :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Yes,yes,I was running out there to stop him all the time,can you imagine it ....rushing out there,just get back to my bed and I would go out again,drove me crazy, "we" have to think as "they" do,I'm sure it was becoming a game getting me up & Marshie then just ducked back into his bed..."It wasn't me,I'm in bed!"I stayed out there on more than one occasion instead of running to & fro.

Last night I duck taped the gate & whether he was doing it during the night & it just became looser during the night I don't know,I don't think it did,the racket started at 5a.m. so I don't mind that,just let him out for the day.He probably did this this 7-8 times this morning & I waited until there was a break before I then let him out,not on his command ...so to speak.I know he behaves during the day as I'm home apart for the shopping.Trying to think deep,perhaps he doesn't like to do his business in there?,not that that would account for the goings on during the night.Perhaps he has reformed as quick as he started this,I can only hope.

I will put post in the Training thread,some-times don't know where to put it re "behaviour"Hoping Erny or one of the others on Training & behaviour may have some tips for me.

Thank you for your tips.

Behaviour-wise, this is a tough one because even going out in the night to correct him is going to be *reward* and certainly, letting him out is just *ideal* in his mind! ;)

My suggestions is to continue trying to block with the puppy pen, do fix the gate with a few more brackets and .....

pick up some old carpet to throw over the whole gate area so if he scratches it doesn't make the noise :o

That will certainly make it easier to ignore him during the night as long as he doesn't get too frustrated and start barking. :)

Thanks tt,

I suppose the howling was due to frustration,I should have been the one howling :eek:

To think a little 2 kilo dog could have me stumped as to what can I do to stop him!Thank goodness females are on heat once every 6 months not once a month.

Yes,I "will over-come" with every-ones help,tonight I will put a tarp over the gate,perhaps he won't be able to get traction on the gate against the post.

I shouldn't have to clip his nails for awhile :)