Sentinel Spectrum Chews

Dante

I am trying to find an economical way to treat my dogs for fleas, intestinal worms and heartworm. I have been using Frontline Plus and Heartguard Plus. I have four Chi's about 2 - 2.5kg each.

Does anyone have any experience portioning the Sentinel Spectrum Chew up for their dogs, i.e. buying a 10kg chew and cutting into 4 pieces, one for each dog?

Does anyone have any other tips to keep the cost down?

Thanks.

I believe the only things you can cut up are tables that are marked with half/quarter lines. Anything else should not be cut up. I use monthly heartworm chews and 3monthly worming tablets for my boys and whilst I used to use Advantix on a regular monthly basis as a flea/tick prevention, for the last couple of years, I have rarely used it as I live in an area where fleas and ticks are not an issue and I also want to keep the chemicals I am using on my boys to a minimum and I haven't had any flea problems during that time.

I dont think I would do this, you would be relying on the active ingredients being distributed evenly through out the chew.

This is correct, you are also using them contrary to the manufacturers directions, which leaves you out in the cold if anything was to go wrong.

You could try buying Revolution in larger dosage size (and 6 months then you get the free Cannex wormer so pretty much everything is covered) and dosing it out but the amount for a small dog .....the amount you'd give would be very small so you would have to be very careful to be accurate ...you can read through the manufacturers product info sheet and it gives all the dosages and concentrations of each pack and with a little maths you can work it out. A lot of ferret owners do this to save on costs.

Sentinel you can buy packs for about $120 for 12 months (of 3 months for all your dogs) from pets megastore as another option.

Unfortunately with Sentinel/Interceptor they don't recommend breaking the chews.. interestingly with Drontal (just wormer) you can.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I have chosen Advantage >25kg, a plastic 1mL syringe and a sterile container. Will be able to dose all my dogs for 12 months with one 3 pack ($70). Advantage treats fleas, heartworm and intestinal parasites (but not tapeworm).

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I have chosen Advantage >25kg, a plastic 1mL syringe and a sterile container. Will be able to dose all my dogs for 12 months with one 3 pack ($70). Advantage treats fleas, heartworm and intestinal parasites (but not tapeworm).

I think you mean ADVOCATE, Advantage only treats fleas.