Red Lump On Paw Near Hair

Like this?

post-5887-1272672331_thumb.jpg

This is an interdigital cyst. He has some that come up between toes on the webbing as well. This photo was taken a number of weeks ago and his cysts (which he had in various degrees in each foot) have diminished considerably.

I was concerned that they were a symptom of furunculosis (interdigital cysts in furunculosis are not true 'cysts'), but I have had the opinion of a Vet and a Naturopath and neither believe this is the case. The Naturopath believes the cysts are another way of my boy excreting toxins from his body (prior skin issues were hives) due to digestive issues.

The predominant treatment I applied for my boy's cysts is the daily application of Aloe Vera Gel. If the skin on the cyst/s is broken (or is looking particularly angry/moist) I am highly conscious of the possibility of infection and I apply antiseptic wound spray and/or Calendula Tea, before I then apply the Aloe Vera Gel. Part of the problem with the cysts being where they are is that the neighbouring toe nail can press into the cyst and cause further trauma to it. When the cysts were at their worst, I didn't run my boy for a few days. There was only once or twice that he showed signs of them making him a bit sore to walk, but dogs are stoic animals and I don't believe there was no soreness even though he wasn't limping. At their worst, if he did have a run, the pressure on them was inclined to make them bleed.

The Aloe Vera Gel (I applied it liberally) helped to lubricate where the neighbouring toe might have been rubbing and soothed them. I was also conscious of how I trimmed his toe nails as well. I found for a little while I was better to leave a couple of the outside nails a bit longer so that the points of the nails were beyond the initial bulge of the cyst/s.

This is another couple of pictures :

post-5887-1272673084_thumb.jpg

post-5887-1272673305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Erny

It is difficult to tell from those photos, MM. Keep an eye on it. It might be from a knock/graze or even potentially a foreign body that may sort itself out. It doesn't look like a cyst to me, at least not from what I can see from the photos. Some clearer shots needed :thumbsup:. Your dog's is at least on the outside pad, so neighbouring toenails aren't going to be a problem.

Edited by Erny

It is difficult to tell from those photos, MM. Keep an eye on it. It might be from a knock/graze or even potentially a foreign body that may sort itself out. It doesn't look like a cyst to me, at least not from what I can see from the photos. Some clearer shots needed :rofl:.

I know my camera is useless at taking photos that are either very close or far :thumbsup:

If it is a digital camera, it should have a setting for close up ????

It may do, I will try and find the setting or wait for OH to get home, he will know. Mason and I are relaxing in bed today, I want him to rest his paw and I had a reaction to seafood last night, I used to be fine with it but it seems I now have an allergy...