Unsettled In New Crate

I got our six month old GSP a new soft crate last week. Its significantly bigger than his old one. Since being in it he whinges a bit first thing on going to bed (he goes to bed when we do). He does manage to sleep ok all night but this morning I heard him (he's just outside our room) either having a chew (or something, I'm only going on sound) on the crate or on his bedding so we got up to stop him and let him out, something he has never done in the old crate (which he has slept in since getting him at 8 weeks old). I'm wondering if he is feeling a little insecure in his new bigger crate? He seemed very happy in the old one but it was getting very small for him (he can hardly stand up in the old one and cannot stretch out at all).

The new crate has a more open feel (the old one had covers that could go over the netting type windows) and I did put a blanket over it last night to see if that was the problem but it made no difference?

Any ideas? I can understand if he just needs to get used to it but I don't want him destroying his bedding in the process!

Does anybody else have a dog that sleeps in a crate thats smaller than it 'should' be? Maybe he just prefers being curled up in his old one?