Charging Camera Batteries For The First Time

carebear

is it still necessary to leave them charge overnight before using them?

i bought a new point and shoot today (nikon coolpix) was kinda of an impluse, as i was helping dad buy a point and shoot for mum (canon ixus one down from 320 to 198 at harvey norman) and ended up going back in the arvo to look at a new one for me.

the guy said that i should charge the battery for 10 - 12 hours before using it.

instruction manual doesn't say that, just that it takes 100 mins to fully charge from completely depleated. batter has been on to charge for about 2 hours now, and a while ago it said it was fully charge.

i want to take the camera to a costume party i'm leaving for shortly, and want to know if it is ok for me to do that, or should i really leave it on overnight?

If the camera manual doesn't say anything, and the thing says that they are now fully charged - you should be fine. (You can leave it in the plug for 10 hours more, but if it is fully charged, it isn't going to be charging up any more!) Camera batteries often come with some charge in them these days when you first buy the camera, so that customers can use them quickly.

PLease note though - I am not a photography person, nor an IT person, so I could be really wrong...