Puppy With Mucous In Diarrhoea

My boy had that a lot as a pup, everytime he gets bones he gets the runs and throws up, for some reason he just cant digest them and so I just dont give them to him anymore, since I stopped the bones his tummy has been 100%.

Thanks very much everyone, i was just a bit worried because i don't know as much about dogs as everyone else here and worried that i might be doing something wrong. im thinking of making a food diary or something because changing him to a bland diet really seemed to help. :) thanks for the advice it has definitely helped and he's muuch better =)

My two year old has had this on and off for 4 weeks now. He went to the vets and they said to just feed him bland boiled chicken and rice.

He'd have 3 good days and then 2 bad days but I could see his tummy was bothering him. He then went on to have mucus in his stools.

Took him to another vet and have put him on antibiotics for 10 days. Things improved except the rice made him a little constipated. Day 5 of the antibiotics and he is back to his happy self, playing and wagging his tail.

Tonight he ate the other dogs dinner, mince and kibble and now I can smell the farting over again. Less solid stool this evening.

Back to chicken and some rice plus finish the next five days of antibiotics.

Keep a close eye on your dog. Look for little signs of him being uncomfortable. With mine, he was a little sooky, didn't wag his tail as often, not so keen to play longer than quick spurts and looked sad when no one was looking at him.

Good luck

Wire, did you give your dog some probiotics? Protexin, Inner health tabs, natural yoghurt, a bottle of yakhult? He will need some, especially with all those antibiotics. I know some will say don't give them until the course is finished, but I would give at the same time. Why is having antibiotics? Was he tested for a specific bug? Be careful of that as some vets treat broadly and the problem will still exist underneath and return after the ab's are finished. I would not be giving them.

And don't forget Slippery elm powder from health food stores is fantastic for irritated guts. A soothing natural remedy. Fixes any issues straightaway in my experience.

Edited by gareth

My 17 week old Pup has had a bad stomach pretty much the entire time we've had him (since 10 weeks). He had mucous, tinges of blood etc in his poops. He has had fecal testing done, etc etc. He did not have Giardia but we still treated with Drontal on he vets advice. He has now come off of a treatment of Scourban, Protexin and is on Royal Canin Intestinal. (he's been through Natural Balance - what he came from the breeders on) and Hills Puppy dry and I/D canned). Touch Wood - he seems ok on he RC howeve he's only been off scourban for 1 day.

Chicken and Rice didn't work for mine as the chicken seemed to make matters worse. Anyway, if you feel you need to take yours to a vet, then do so, but diaoreah can be common and is not always a sign of something worse.

Good Luck

Susan

Wire, did you give your dog some probiotics? Protexin, Inner health tabs, natural yoghurt, a bottle of yakhult? He will need some, especially with all those antibiotics. I know some will say don't give them until the course is finished, but I would give at the same time. Why is having antibiotics? Was he tested for a specific bug? Be careful of that as some vets treat broadly and the problem will still exist underneath and return after the ab's are finished. I would not be giving them.

And don't forget Slippery elm powder from health food stores is fantastic for irritated guts. A soothing natural remedy. Fixes any issues straightaway in my experience.

gareth, I will be giving him some probiotics starting this weekend. Tried the yogurt & yakhult but he refused to take it, even mixed in his dinner.

My boy has been under a great deal of stress lately with several medical proceedures in a very short time space so we wanted to aviod him being jabbed and poked yet again, thus we chose the antibiotics at this point. It's not ideal, I know.

Things are slowly getting solid and he is feeling much better within himself. He's going on Wathams kibble also.

Thanks for your advice with the herbs.