8 Month Old With Kennel Cough (me Thinks)

Hey all,

ive done a bit of research because my beagle Gardener has got this nasty cough-like reaction lately the past few days. Sounds like a hollow cough like trying to bring something up (and sometimes does).

Seems like it is Kennel cough after some research! (Im pretty sure he was vaccinated against this :S)

Anywho, i was just wondering if you think its necessary to take him to the vets? It seems from some opinions ive heard, that there isnt much you can do and it will go within a week or two. Is this correct? or should i be rushing to the vets?

he seems good otherwise, still full of energy and everything!

He threw up all this cream mucus all over my leg just before when we were on the couch...absolutely disguisting! :grouphug:

img0005bm.jpg

I'd monitor him and not take him to the Vet if it was Canine Cough. I'd not be exercising him and I'd be inclined to give him a few doses a day (ie teaspoon) of Active Manuka Honey (UMF 20+ or higher) which you purchase from a Health Food Store, while he is symptomatically coughing. It's pricey, but it is good stuff. Make sure he's drinking (keeping hydrated) and if you don't think he is drinking as much as he should, put one dose of the AMH in a SMALL amount of water (he might love it so much he'll guzzle too much water). When the cough stops, cut down the AMH doseage to a daily dose until two or three days past all symptoms.

Watch him over the next couple of days, looking for some improvement in the cough. You can expect him to become a little lethargic (just as anyone who has a cold might) but if he appears too much so, or if he has any trouble breathing, or becomes too mucousy from the nose, or if he develops a temperature, or you're just not sure, take him to your Vet for his/her opinion.

Keep him free from drafts and chills.

IOW, treat it almost as you would a child suffering a cold.

If there is no secondary infection, there is no need for antibiotics. Some Vets prescribe antibiotics regardless. This is something that is for you and your Vet to discuss and for you to choose.

I'm not a Vet. But this is what I did for my boy when he contracted Canine Cough and I admit that I do work to avoid the administration of drugs if they aren't necessary.

ETA: Oh - his throat might be feeling a bit sore too (my pup had a sore throat at one stage of CC), so give consideration to the food you are feeding. Dry kibble, for example, would be somewhat scratchy on a sore throat.

Edited by Erny

And if I may just say that your boy is a lovely looking beagle :grouphug: *beagle snuggles*

I hope he gets better soon - let us know how you go? Ive been looking at investing in some Active Manuka Honey to have on hand *just in case*

Jacqui :love:

Sorry Erny, I totally disagree, any dog with suspected Kennel Cough should be taken to the Vet. Kennel Cough can develop into something quite serious and it's not something to be flippent about.

I don't think we should be encouraging self-diagnosis when that can be incorrect.

Manuka Honey and rest isn't going to help if he's got something lodged in the back of his throat somewhere.

I'd get him a check-up and if they diagnose KC, you don't necessarily need to take home antibiotics. They're often given to prevent secondary infection but I'm sure if you speak to your vet you can ascertain whether they're really needed in his case.

Get a proper diagnosis first from a professional and then look for alternate therapies :grouphug:

Yeah - you guys are probably right. What I can't assume is the knowledge of other dog-owners and whether they can assess. But I guess what bothers me is the frequency of "antibiotics for this" "antibiotics for that" that are given out so freely and readily, even when the Vet s/he him/herself doesn't know what the problem is.

My preference would be to have a Vet who would tell me that s/he *thinks* it to be "xxxx" (or even, "I'm not sure") and to "monitor for a couple of days" then I'd like to see you again in "xxx" days. If the follow-up visit is just a check and uncomplicated, the consult fee doesn't have to be as much and I think perhaps there could be a number of dogs who would then not be prescribed drugs unnecessarily.

Thing is, most dog-owners don't question the Vet's advice and wouldn't dream of questioning whether antibiotics are necessary or not.

It's evident, I believe, that our dogs have been/are becoming resistant to wormers - no surprises there, because we are *groomed* to worm regularly - 3 monthly, year in year out. Similar is as likely to happen with antibiotics, just as it has occurred with humans if we don't start being more judicious about their prescriptions. I don't even think that antibiotics, wrongly prescribed, do the dog any good.

This is not to reflect on any of you - perhaps you do talk to your clients and let them know that antibiotics might not be necessary; that perhaps they'd like to come back for a check up again in *xxx* days; etc. But many of the Vets I know of don't do this and I also continue to read here how antibiotics are dished out easily without the Vet knowing what the problem is (and even before some of the most basic steps have been taken to try to find out).

So, if what I (and in contradiction, yourselves) write here at least alerts an owner to the fact that they have choices, and that there are disadvantages or, perhaps, advantage to giving antibiotics to their dogs and that they can discuss it with their Vet, then I think that's not a bad thing.

You are right though, that to have the dog *cleared* of something like having an obstruction down the throat, that would be a good thing. If it is unseen via a peer down the throat, what would a Vet do in this particular circumstance to confirm that's not the problem?

Edited by Erny

Hi Nik, Sorry your boy isn't well, (he's very cute by the way!) I noticed in your first post you said you were pretty sure he was vaccinated against CC. Can you find out 100% just check with the vet that vaccinated him.

If he wasn't vaccinated for CC I'd definatly be visiting the vet, but if he was I tend to agree with Erny. Two of mine had CC last year after playing with a dog that had a cough (elderly owner didn't realize) I rang the vet and he said no excersise, keep warm, watch for any change and if so bring them in as CC can turn into a secondary infection.

I was happy with that as I didn't want to give them AB's "just in case." After a few days they were back to normal. They only had a very mild case and were coughing mainly when they were up and about not at rest. I was lucky only 2 of mine got it and the other 2 didn't. The cough with my two did sound like they had something stuck in thier neck as in they were basically dry reaching. Anyway good luck with your boy, hope he is feeling better soon.

I noticed in your first post you said you were pretty sure he was vaccinated against CC. Can you find out 100% just check with the vet that vaccinated him.

If he wasn't vaccinated for CC I'd definatly be visiting the vet, but if he was I tend to agree with Erny.

Hi tlc. Just to raise a point here, and for the OP's knowledge - vaccinating against CC does not mean a dog won't contract CC. Apart from that, there are so many different strains of CC around.

There are more strains of KC than just the ones we vaccinate for. And even the vaccination isn't 100%, but they say it can reduce the duration and severity.

Erny I understand your reluctance to send people to the vet because of over prescription of AB's and I think it's quite warranted in many cases. But I think it would be more responsible in these cases to suggest a vet visit, but educate the owners that AB's aren't always necessary and that owners can discuss it with their vet and let them know they are ok with not having any AB's initially and only getting some if required.

Probably in 9/10 cases, its going to be KC but 1 of those cases it's not, which is why I think it's wise to suggest a vet visit. The fact that KC sounds so much like there's something stuck in the throat is why we suggest a visit, because you can never really be sure there isn't!

A vet can palpate the throat of the dog feel for anything potentially stuck. They can also listen to the breathing sounds within the lungs to listen to any abnormalities which may actually require. Some just look like standard KC cases on the outside, but on the inside might be much worse than you think.

I noticed in your first post you said you were pretty sure he was vaccinated against CC. Can you find out 100% just check with the vet that vaccinated him.

If he wasn't vaccinated for CC I'd definatly be visiting the vet, but if he was I tend to agree with Erny.

Hi tlc. Just to raise a point here, and for the OP's knowledge - vaccinating against CC does not mean a dog won't contract CC. Apart from that, there are so many different strains of CC around.

Yes for sure. My guys have been vacc'ed for it but they still got a mild case. I have heard of people that have not vaccinated for it because of all the different strains of it. I guess if it was me and mine weren't vacc'ed against it i would head of to the vets.

I was reluctant at getting my 3 younger ones vacc'ed against CC as when Cooper had his, he had a severe reaction and luckily we got him back to the vets in time for them to give him anti hystamine (sp) so he could breath again. Very scary stuff. I watched the other 3 like a hawk after they were done!!

Hey all,

ive done a bit of research because my beagle Gardener has got this nasty cough-like reaction lately the past few days. Sounds like a hollow cough like trying to bring something up (and sometimes does).

Seems like it is Kennel cough after some research! (Im pretty sure he was vaccinated against this :S)

Anywho, i was just wondering if you think its necessary to take him to the vets? It seems from some opinions ive heard, that there isnt much you can do and it will go within a week or two. Is this correct? or should i be rushing to the vets?

He threw up all this cream mucus all over my leg just before when we were on the couch...absolutely disguisting! :thumbsup:

img0005bm.jpg

Hey all,

He threw up all this cream mucus all over my leg just before when we were on the couch...absolutely disguisting! :thumbsup:

img0005bm.jpg

vaccinated dogs can get kennel cough,due to several strains,mine caught kennel cough from vaccinated puppy sneezing on them.

Best thing ,keep dog quiet,administer benadryl cough mixture,child dose to break up all the muck,and manuka honey to boost their system,take that gorgeous beagle into the shower room when you shower ,leave fan off .sprinkle eucalyptus pure oil on base of shower,the steam will do marvels at breaking up all that muck in his chest,(just leave him in the room while you shower) ,2 times a day if possible,also if you have vaporizer run that in the room hes in to ,it all helps.i JUST RAN MINE ALL DAY AND NIGHT WHILE I WAS AROUND with the oil in it.we have beagles too and 2 of mine were just so sick ,the steam thing worked so well, they were chucking up all the muck in no time ,and greatly improved after that.

hope this helps .

Hey all,

img0005bm.jpg

vaccinated dogs can get kennel cough,due to several strains,mine caught kennel cough from vaccinated puppy sneezing on them.

Best thing ,keep dog quiet,administer benadryl cough mixture,child dose to break up all the muck,and manuka honey to boost their system,take that gorgeous beagle into the shower room when you shower ,leave fan off .sprinkle eucalyptus pure oil on base of shower,the steam will do marvels at breaking up all that muck in his chest,(just leave him in the room while you shower) ,2 times a day if possible,also if you have vaporizer run that in the room hes in to ,it all helps.i JUST RAN MINE ALL DAY AND NIGHT WHILE I WAS AROUND with the oil in it.we have beagles too and 2 of mine were just so sick ,the steam thing worked so well, they were chucking up all the muck in no time ,and greatly improved after that.

hope this helps .

... sprinkle eucalyptus pure oil on base of shower,the steam will do marvels at breaking up all that muck in his chest,(just leave him in the room while you shower) ,2 times a day if possible,also if you have vaporizer run that in the room hes in to ,it all helps.i JUST RAN MINE ALL DAY AND NIGHT WHILE I WAS AROUND with the oil in it.

Is this right? On the odd occasion when my boy was a pup (and when I had nothing else in the cupboard but needed something straight away) I used eucalyptus oil to stop him from chewing on one or two things that he showed inclination to, but were dangerous to him if he did. He hates the smell and therefore it worked as an aversive. I think I've also read where eucalyptus oil can be toxic to dogs. I wonder, therefore, if we should be making them breath it in, especially in such a confined space where the dog can't retreat?

ETA: Just asking politely - but can we be a bit judicious about repeating photo's when we hit the "reply" button? I don't think people need to see a photo a dozen times over in the same thread and it would make it quite unnecessarily photo heavy and download cumbersome, not to mention terribly slow for those who might still be on dial-up. It seems to be happening a lot lately and even I have found myself wading through pages for very little in the way of post content, only because the photo's keep getting repeated in each.

Edited by Erny

HI Nik, my boxer got a dose of kennel cough when he was 5 months old. He was vaccinated. It wasn't severe so I just watched him over a few days, made sure he was drinking and eating etc. I did take him to the vet because after a couple of days the amount of snot was disgusting and it had changed colour and became blood stained so I was worried about secondary infection. He did have to go on antibiotics but it was because the risk of a nasty sinusitus.

Imagine a white boxer with green snot pouring out of his nose and wiping it on furniture, curtains, bed spreads, the back of your legs YUCK!!!!

Hi Nik - our beagle (9yo and vacc'd) just had his first ever bout of what we thought was kennel cough - he really did sound like he was trying to hack something up - and this was all times of day. When I felt his ears they were really hot (very non specific test!) so after a couple of days of this we took him to the vet and he was placed on antibiotics (doxycycline) and a cough elixir. the cough syrup was next to useless as even for a beagle he didn't want to touch it and I'm not sure the Abs did much good either and I do wonder if it would've been ok just to let it run it's course than go to the vet. Having said that - losing the Mont unnecessarily or having him suffer would have been truly awful so I went with the safe option. I'd prob go to the vet again nxt time too if that's any help.

Cheers Fi

We have just been through Kennel cough after a visit to boarding

I have always vaccinated against kennel cough so it was a revelation to me that my girl (kelpie/heeler x)

got it. Anyway she was treated with antibiotics and they did work. She is 8 so maybe age is a factor as well

At least I now know that the vaccine is not necessarily going to prevent it