Yearly Vaccinations?

Okay so what is best for Jet in regards to vaccinations?

I keep on reading on this forum that some don't recommend yearly vacs. Jet is due for his first yearly vac after his puppy ones next month how does it work? Should I do yearly or what other options are there?

I am so :) because I hear so many different things.

The Aust Vet Association has sent out a letter to recommend the vaccination program of

1st injection at 8 weeks

2nd injection at 16 weeks

3rd injection at 14 months

Then every three years

This is for the C3 injection - covers parvo, distemper

They still recommend that the Kennel Cough vaccinations are held annually if required.

The research is indicating that the vaccinations are lasting much longer than first thought and that in fact over vaccinating might cause problems down the line. This is the in the same line as with humans having tetnus injections, initially it was recommended every three years and then it was changed to 5 or 10 years and now the doctor tells me as I have had a few in my life I don't need to have any more.

However,

Many vets are unwilling to offer this to people due to the worry that people will not bring their dog in for an annual checkup if they dont need a vaccination.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Thank you, I understand more now. I will also ring a couple of vet's which I have used and see what they think as well. Even if he doesn't get vaccinated I will take him for a check up.

JJ - if you have pet insurance, you need to think of the implications of what is covered and what isn't. For example, the KC vaccine doesn't stop all KC. However, if your dog gets KC and develops complications that need expensive treatment, then the insurance company would be well within their rights not to pay your claim.

I am getting the annual KC booster (to cover me for insurnace and kennels) and a letter from my vet to say that my dogs are covered for parvo and distemper (and the other thing that is included that I forget) until June 2012 (they were vacc'd in 2009).

We came to this agreement after a good 1/2 an hour discussion. He said that many vets are still sticking to the annual regime due to vaccination numbers being low in Melbourne (I think he said it was below 60% and herd immunity required 70%) and the fact that the AVA has many academics that didn't see parvo on the ground. I might have got my facts muddled so don't quote me on that - I appreciate that he spent a lot of time on the phone to me (without charge) and explained the complications of each scenario and worked out a solution that we're both happy with.

FWIW apparently the pharma companies haven't come to the table with the AVA and are saying that it should still be annual apparently.