Doggy Nose - Changed Colour On Inside?

Hi there, this might be a weird question.

My cocker spaniel's nose was all black, and recently I've noticed he's developed this pink spot on the underside/inside of one side of his nose.

This was his nose a few months ago:

charlienose-before.jpg

This is his nose today:

charlienose-whatswrong1.jpg

charlienose-whatswrong2.jpg

charlienose-whatswrong3.jpg

The other side of his nose still looks normal:

charlienose-otherside.jpg

What could have happened to one side of his nose?

It's not mucus-ey, though I picked off a little bit of dried-on something before taking the photos, but his nose is not running or anything like that. He's not sneezing, seems to be breathing fine.

We adopted him, the RSPCA should have done all the required vaccinations around November of last year.

Could it be because he's always outside and he's caught some kind of localised infection due to the weather? (We're in Brisbane, so it's not really that cold, but it's still winter)

(I can't do anything about him being stuck outside right now, and it drives me insane.. sigh.. still living with the in-laws... and they hate the very thought of a dog sharing space indoors with the family. :cheer: My husband and I are trying to find a place to rent that will allow dogs indoors... I want the dog to be part of the family, the in-laws don't!)

Edited by alexandrite

Great! I wish I always had before/after pictures.

It looks a bit like an infection, is he scratching the nose? Did it change rapidly or over time?

I agree with you as having the dog as a family member, I do hope you will find a place soon.

I also live here and I think the nights are getting really cool now. Have you got many biting midges at your place? Maybe they were the cause for this.

If he was my dog, there are a number of things I would do.

First it has to be cleaned and kept clean. The dried-on stuff you saw was probably some dried discharge from the wound, not mucous. His nose could be sensitive to the touch, so best would probably be to start with some luke-warm chamomile tea and gently press a soaked tissue on the spot to soften it up. Try more to pad it than to rub it. For desinfection best works salted water or Colloidal Silver. To soothe it, I would try to get some Aloe Vera and apply a bit after cleaning.

If he licks it off (I doubt it as it is really bitter), just leave it off and clean a few times a day, ending with chamomile tea. Additionally I would give him 1 Arnica 30C tablet twice a day (or drops).

Let us know how he is going!

Dagmar

Hi there, this might be a weird question.

My cocker spaniel's nose was all black, and recently I've noticed he's developed this pink spot on the underside/inside of one side of his nose.

This was his nose a few months ago:

charlienose-before.jpg

This is his nose today:

charlienose-whatswrong1.jpg

charlienose-whatswrong2.jpg

charlienose-whatswrong3.jpg

The other side of his nose still looks normal:

charlienose-otherside.jpg

What could have happened to one side of his nose?

It's not mucus-ey, though I picked off a little bit of dried-on something before taking the photos, but his nose is not running or anything like that. He's not sneezing, seems to be breathing fine.

We adopted him, the RSPCA should have done all the required vaccinations around November of last year.

Could it be because he's always outside and he's caught some kind of localised infection due to the weather? (We're in Brisbane, so it's not really that cold, but it's still winter)

(I can't do anything about him being stuck outside right now, and it drives me insane.. sigh.. still living with the in-laws... and they hate the very thought of a dog sharing space indoors with the family. :cheer: My husband and I are trying to find a place to rent that will allow dogs indoors... I want the dog to be part of the family, the in-laws don't!)

Thank you for your reply and advice :D

(hehe I take sooo many photos of Charlie, it wasn't hard to find a "before" shot!)

We've been cleaning the nose with warm chamomile tea, which seems to help soften the dry bit of the edge of the nose. We did take Charlie to the vet to show the nose, and the vet said it was some sort of skin irritation. He prescribed an oily sort of cream to put on the nose spot two times a day for 2 weeks, and it should hopefully go away. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties, so it should take care of whatever is causing it.

Funniest part: the vet said to keep the cream on his nose for 5 minutes, ideally. We looked at him, looked at Charlie, and said "oh yeah, that's going to be fun!" He then said "if you can manage it for 2 minutes that'll be ok too..." :)

Edited by alexandrite

was it panalog the vet proscribed ?can work wonders for skin infections (that it looks to be )as silly as it sounds cockers noses can change color in winter <they take on a brown tinge as aposed to black >

trust yr baby is recovering well

Thank you for your reply and advice :D

(hehe I take sooo many photos of Charlie, it wasn't hard to find a "before" shot!)

We've been cleaning the nose with warm chamomile tea, which seems to help soften the dry bit of the edge of the nose. We did take Charlie to the vet to show the nose, and the vet said it was some sort of skin irritation. He prescribed an oily sort of cream to put on the nose spot two times a day for 2 weeks, and it should hopefully go away. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties, so it should take care of whatever is causing it.

Funniest part: the vet said to keep the cream on his nose for 5 minutes, ideally. We looked at him, looked at Charlie, and said "oh yeah, that's going to be fun!" He then said "if you can manage it for 2 minutes that'll be ok too..." :)

Even 2 minutes will be a challenge ;-) Anyway, please keep us updated what happens.