I Just Want To Relax On The Lounge!

jules1

I have breeds well known for being over excitable & when ever i train for the show ring I always hype them until there over the top & then i train them to respond during this phase & never ever had an issue in gaining control asap.

They learn very quickly it isnt a game & that there reward is for doing what is asked .

People always train when the dog is listening but i prefer to work with the exuberance phase & add it into the dogs enjoyment & reward

Do you do private lessons? :o I have to admit getting him to do anything when he is hyper mood - (even a 'sit') is very rewarding, but his calmness/obedience only lasts for a matter of nano-seconds! I keep telling myself he is only 5 months old and he will get better, but is still a bit exhausting at the moment....

When he gets really bad, I usually take him out the back and throw the frisbee for him for a while to try and tire him out (he "fetches" really well!) But that is probably rewarding him...

*nods * :thanks: he is training you roolly well! :heart:

Yeah, I know... :grouphug: Who would've thought a puppy could be so devious? :thumbsup: I was watching an episode of Supernanny the other day and the similarities between puppies and toddlers is amazing! How they both behave badly to get your attention and get what they want whilst making you think you're doing the right thing..... :eek:

I know one of little tricks when he doesn't have my attention (eg when I'm on the computer or phone) is to get hold of something that he knows he shouldn't have like the TV remote, a sock from the laundry etc - he then comes right up and shows me he has got it and then charges off outside with it so I have to chase him to get it back - he thinks this is a great game! :thumbsup: I have learnt not to chase him, as if I don't then he comes straight back in to show it to me again just in case I missed it the first time.... :cry: and that's when I try to grab it. He's definitely not stupid!

Oh the joy of puppies!! :)

is to get hold of something that he knows he shouldn't have like the TV remote, a sock from the laundry etc - he then comes right up and shows me he has got it and then charges off outside with it so I have to chase him to get it back - he thinks this is a great game! :o I have learnt not to chase him, as if I don't then he comes straight back in to show it to me again just in case I missed it the first time.... :) and that's when I try to grab it. He's definitely not stupid!

:cry: Someone else is living my life. :eek: I'm so so familiar with these exact events at least 700 times a day ...... (slight exaggeration)

is to get hold of something that he knows he shouldn't have like the TV remote, a sock from the laundry etc - he then comes right up and shows me he has got it and then charges off outside with it so I have to chase him to get it back - he thinks this is a great game! :o I have learnt not to chase him, as if I don't then he comes straight back in to show it to me again just in case I missed it the first time.... :) and that's when I try to grab it. He's definitely not stupid!

:cry: Someone else is living my life. :eek: I'm so so familiar with these exact events at least 700 times a day ...... (slight exaggeration)

And this is just the puppy stage....have got to go though adolescence yet... :thumbsup:

We are just starting the full-on "destroy everything" stage too - have noticed just in the last few days that he has become much more destructive. Before, if he found something to chew on (a stick/bit of cardboard etc) then he would just lie down and chew it a bit - now it's absolutely destroyed into a million pieces and scattered as far as the eye can see....and despite having many toys that we rotate (activity balls, chew toys, soft toys, tugs etc) - he seems to be constantly on the lookout for anything within reach (ie taken off the kitchen bench) that he can destroy. Oh well, I guess it will make us be tidier ! :thumbsup: Just have to be careful that it's not anything that can harm him.

and that's when I try to grab it. He's definitely not stupid!

ooh- and THIS is where you have a golden opportunity to help him learn a valuable lesson!! It could also be a lifesaver one day .

Get yourself a jar with a good lid.. and ,inside put yummy treats- like dried cat food- or liver treats. as you sit down to do stuff.. have a couple of treats waiting somewhere....

When boofhead slaps you with a sock - offer a treat and say "swap" .. or "give me" . if he opens his mouth - to get a treat or two.. , CALMLY get the sock - immediately give him his treat,and tell him how wonderful he is , and get back to what you were doing. :o If he ignores- then put the treat to one side- and wait for next time. If the treat is irresistible - he should know this game in a few minutes :thumbsup:

This is one of my all time favourite things which most of our dogs have learnt :eek: - saves me making a fool of myself trying to chase pups/dogs ... those days are well past!! :) and it helps pups trust you - and to realise that rewards can be easily earnt :cry:

and that's when I try to grab it. He's definitely not stupid!

ooh- and THIS is where you have a golden opportunity to help him learn a valuable lesson!! It could also be a lifesaver one day .

Get yourself a jar with a good lid.. and ,inside put yummy treats- like dried cat food- or liver treats. as you sit down to do stuff.. have a couple of treats waiting somewhere....

When boofhead slaps you with a sock - offer a treat and say "swap" .. or "give me" . if he opens his mouth - to get a treat or two.. , CALMLY get the sock - immediately give him his treat,and tell him how wonderful he is , and get back to what you were doing. :thumbsup: If he ignores- then put the treat to one side- and wait for next time. If the treat is irresistible - he should know this game in a few minutes :grouphug:

This is one of my all time favourite things which most of our dogs have learnt :o - saves me making a fool of myself trying to chase pups/dogs ... those days are well past!! :cry: and it helps pups trust you - and to realise that rewards can be easily earnt :thumbsup:

I've been trying this a bit, but without the treat - if I want him to give my anything, even his toys when we are playing fetch (he always brings them straight to me, but actually letting go of it is another matter!) then I say "thankyou" and praise and pat him...maybe that is not enough. I have a treat bumbag for training - I think I'm going to have to wear it more just around the house/yard and use it all the time as he is very food driven. I am probably missing out on a lot of training opportunities in everyday situations, rather than just have the set 5 minute little training sessions.

And your "boofhead slaps you with a sock" is a perfect description - he literally does slap me with it!! :)

Hopefully one day I can look back at this and laugh....but had better go as it looks like he has torn a hole in one of his soft toys and is pulling all the filling out all over the carpet :eek: