Tips For A Beginner.

Malinworx

I will be having my first litter of pups the next time my bitch comes in season. I have had her hips, elbows and eyes tested and have some semen in storage which I plan to use and have a vet that I will be using to perform the procedure.

The scary bit is whelping the litter and raising the pups. I have a heated whelping box lined up that I can borrow.

Keen for any advice of things that you have found that have made to process easier

Hopefully these tips may be of benefit to other breeders as well.

Thanks in advance.

Never give calcium supplement to a pregnant bitch - natural calcium only in the form of bones, veges etc.

As soon as the bitch has whelped - as much calcium - natural or supplement, as she wants. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh this brings back memories!!

I was horribly underprepared for my first litter - my gosh didn't I learn quickly.......

My first tip - do lots of reading, read some more, internet search, read more books, ask lots of questions BEFORE you even consider a mating. Your partner will think you are obsessed with canine reproduction but will thankyou when the pressure is on.

My other tip - whelping box either inside or if you can't have it inside, as close to the back door as possible....all my girls want to be as close as possible to me when they whelp and will do whatever they can for that to happen.

Best of luck!

Being new breeder myself I can't stress how important having a mentor and experienced breeders backing you. No matter how many books you read it always pays to have that live feedback when you need it on call 24/7.

Do you have someone close by with a litter coming up that you would be able to sit in and watch??

Reading is great but the real deal is the best way to learn!

That is a good Idea. I do in fact have a friend with a litter hopefully on the way. I might need to get to know the bitch a bit better first.

Yep - read, watch, ask questions, a good learning curve is your vet if you have agood one - he may have some literature he can give you. Our vet has a handout he gives to everyone who goes in there with a pregnant bitch and it doesnt seem to matter if its litter number 1 or 100.

But it has great advice in it about timings, when might things be going wrong, what to do when ????

And as already stated, try and visit another breeder when thier bitch is whelping.