8 Mth Old Great Dane

Just come into our hands - he weighed 48 kgs a week ago when vetworked but looks emaciated - previous owner was feeding him twice a day Advance dry, wet Chum/Pedigree (one large can every 3 days), pasta vegetables and chicken necks

He now has diarrhoea but he has been fed a lot of different food quickly by people feeling sorry for him

Good basic diet recommendation appreciated

Edited by vicdrg

oh the poor boy!!!

if you can any way get him on to a premium food especially while hes still growing that would be best, as much as hes 8mths old he still needs to be grown out slowly

id reccomend small frequent meals a few times a day obviously. Feeding from a raised bowl

Chicken or beef mince with eukanuba large breed puppy kibble at least till his critial growth period is finished, that being said danes dont fully mature till at least 15 mths to 2 yrs of age.

for brekkie with my guys they were getting chicken carcasses, and then chicken mince of a night with large breed puppy kibble, now that i only have my senior boy he gets the chicken carcasses of a morning and senoir biccies of a night with his mince.

feel free to pop into the dane thread if your after any other advice re this boy

Contact the Great Dane Club of Vic's rescue people. Otherwise I echo GDG's advice - get him off the Pal and on to a premium food for Giant/ Large breeds. I would not feed chicken necks to an 8 month old - maybe legs but probably carcasses only.

Lose the pasta and vegetables.

A lean dane is better than an overweight on.

Contact the Great Dane Club of Vic's rescue people. Otherwise I echo GDG's advice - get him off the Pal and on to a premium food for Giant/ Large breeds. I would not feed chicken necks to an 8 month old - maybe legs but probably carcasses only.

Lose the pasta and vegetables.

A lean dane is better than an overweight on.

thank you all. Yes I'm in touch with the great dane club.

Vicdrg - just wondering whether any medical conditions have been ruled out, like EPI, or inflammatory bowel? Sounds like a fair amount of calories were going in, with the Advance as well as the pasta.

Probably best to get him on to a bland diet first to try and overcome the diarrhoea and then try and introduce a good quality dry with maybe a bit of chicken mince. But if the diarrhoea is recurrent I'd probably be wanting more vet work done.

Vicdrg - just wondering whether any medical conditions have been ruled out, like EPI, or inflammatory bowel? Sounds like a fair amount of calories were going in, with the Advance as well as the pasta.

Probably best to get him on to a bland diet first to try and overcome the diarrhoea and then try and introduce a good quality dry with maybe a bit of chicken mince. But if the diarrhoea is recurrent I'd probably be wanting more vet work done.

great that's reassuring as that's just what we have done - think just stress and too many moves