Which Food Is Suitable For Husky?

Hi ,I am new here.I have a 3 years old Husky boy,around 25kg.It seems he doesn't like any dry food ,I have tried nearly all the products which are commonly available in Pet store.

I am going to try some Grain Free products which have high protein, I assume these could be a better choice for this kind of high active dog.

The Grain free products which could be possible find in Australia : EVO ,CANIDA, Artemis....

I heard about K9 natural ,is it beneficial for primary daily feeding or just small amount with dry food ?but it looks like expensive.

Does anybody have experience with Husky ?and with these products above?

Lately,does anyone give me some advice for Can food,is it essential for dog or just bring good tasty?

Thank you !

Sounds more like you have a dog who has you wrapped around his paw!

Choose a good quality dry food, and stick to it. Ours are fed Eagle Pak (power for the working dogs, natural for the rest). All our dogs get meat with their dry food, be it beef or chicken mince, beef chunks, tuna/sardines, chicken frames etc.

If your Siberian is being fussy, after 5 minutes pick up the food. Offer it to him again the next day. Do not pander to him. They will not starve themselves, he will eat eventually. Saying the you have tried nearly every dried food available suggests to me that that if your boy turns his nose up at it, you go out and buy another brand to try. This is not the way to getting your boy to eat.

Edited by SilverHaze

Sounds more like you have a dog who has you wrapped around his paw!

Choose a good quality dry food, and stick to it. Ours are fed Eagle Pak (power for the working dogs, natural for the rest). All our dogs get meat with their dry food, be it beef or chicken mince, beef chunks, tuna/sardines, chicken frames etc.

If your Siberian is being fussy, after 5 minutes pick up the food. Offer it to him again the next day. Do not pander to him. They will not starve themselves, he will eat eventually. Saying the you have tried nearly every dried food available suggests to me that that if your boy turns his nose up at it, you go out and buy another brand to try. This is not the way to getting your boy to eat.

Thanks for your comment. What I am doing right now is that watching him to eat everyday,it takes me around 40 mins to do this job,boring.I give him 3 Cups dry food around 325G daily.I have tried your method,it doesn't work on him.It looks like that he can starve himself 2-3 days,maybe he could find something to eat in the backyard,I am not sure,as far as I know,there is nothing expect grass and mud in the backyard.

You know,what he really like is meat with bone.Do you feed your husky with bones?what about can food?

post-35029-1276054341_thumb.jpg

What I am doing right now is that watching him to eat everyday,

:birthday: Why watching him? I supervise my dogs' meal times but certainly don't "watch" as in spend 40 minutes staring at them. Put his food down somewhere you can see him but he's out of the way - laundry, outside the kitchen window, something along those lines. IGNORE him. If he doesn't finish the food in 10 minutes, pick it up and put it away. So what if he goes two or three days without eating? a healthy young dog with no on going health issues is not going to starve himself to death. In fact dogs are designed to gorge and fast so a day or two without food isn't anything particularly abnormal. Is he getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation? - nothing like it to stimulate appetite.

You know,what he really like is meat with bone.Do you feed your husky with bones?what about can food?

You can raw feed ANY breed - but you need to know a bit about it, there's several threads on here that will help. Canned food is a good way of feeding your dog flavoured water, not much use for anything except tempting a sick dog to eat IMO.

What I am doing right now is that watching him to eat everyday,

:birthday: Why watching him? I supervise my dogs' meal times but certainly don't "watch" as in spend 40 minutes staring at them. Put his food down somewhere you can see him but he's out of the way - laundry, outside the kitchen window, something along those lines. IGNORE him. If he doesn't finish the food in 10 minutes, pick it up and put it away. So what if he goes two or three days without eating? a healthy young dog with no on going health issues is not going to starve himself to death. In fact dogs are designed to gorge and fast so a day or two without food isn't anything particularly abnormal. Is he getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation? - nothing like it to stimulate appetite.

You can raw feed ANY breed - but you need to know a bit about it, there's several threads on here that will help. Canned food is a good way of feeding your dog flavoured water, not much use for anything except tempting a sick dog to eat IMO.

Hi,if I leave the food out there,he will ignore it and run away,several moths ago,he was 20-21kg.After I watch him to eat everyday,he is 25kg right now.That's the main reason,I want him to intake certain amount of food everyday,so it will put some weight on him,it works.

I used to walk with him after lunch about 30 mins everyday and also we got big backyard.What do you mean mental stimulation?He joined the puppy school when he was a puppy and he can do many things following orders.He is health as well.we go the the vet twice every year only for annual injection and heartworm injection. Only problem is his eating habit. :rofl:

Whoa!!!

Firstly you are feeding your Siberian way too much!

No Sibe needs 3 cups of dry food.

Depending on the quality of food and his level of exercise, i would be feeding him about 1 1/2 cups, 2 at the max - and thats only if your not supplementing with any meat.

Of course he's skipping meals and taking so long to eat what you give him, it's way too much!!! Siberians don't need much food.

As for his weight - why are you trying to put more weight on him??? They aren't big dogs, and they certainly don't weigh much. Has your boys increase from 21kg to 25 kg been muscle or fat??? I'm guessing if your basing his weight gain on food alone, that it's fat.

How tall is your boy? (measure from the ground to the top of the shoulders).

To give you an indication of correct weight in well muscled healthy fit siberians, my males are the following

21 3/4" tall, extremely well muscled, weighs 23.5kgs

23 1/4" tall, young male, good muscle, weighs 24.5kgs

my bitches weight even less (from 17 - 20kgs)

My guess is your worrying over nothing with your boy and his weight.

Cut his food down, he'll eat quicker, he'll be just fine and you won't be hanging around waiting for him to eat food he just doesn't need.

Looking at the photo of your boy, he's gorgeous, but he certainly doesn't need to put on any more weight. Are you able to speak to his breeder in regards to what you have been feeding him, and what a correct diet from him should be?

Whoa!!!

Firstly you are feeding your Siberian way too much!

No Sibe needs 3 cups of dry food.

Depending on the quality of food and his level of exercise, i would be feeding him about 1 1/2 cups, 2 at the max - and thats only if your not supplementing with any meat.

Of course he's skipping meals and taking so long to eat what you give him, it's way too much!!! Siberians don't need much food.

As for his weight - why are you trying to put more weight on him??? They aren't big dogs, and they certainly don't weigh much. Has your boys increase from 21kg to 25 kg been muscle or fat??? I'm guessing if your basing his weight gain on food alone, that it's fat.

How tall is your boy? (measure from the ground to the top of the shoulders).

To give you an indication of correct weight in well muscled healthy fit siberians, my males are the following

21 3/4" tall, extremely well muscled, weighs 23.5kgs

23 1/4" tall, young male, good muscle, weighs 24.5kgs

my bitches weight even less (from 17 - 20kgs)

My guess is your worrying over nothing with your boy and his weight.

Cut his food down, he'll eat quicker, he'll be just fine and you won't be hanging around waiting for him to eat food he just doesn't need.

Looking at the photo of your boy, he's gorgeous, but he certainly doesn't need to put on any more weight. Are you able to speak to his breeder in regards to what you have been feeding him, and what a correct diet from him should be?

Thanks again.

Yes,I think I really fed him too much(3 cups),I think 2 cups is enough,coz when I used to watch him to eat,after he finished the amount of 2 cups,he tended to eat very slow and upset for the rest of the food. The reason why I want to put more weight on him is that my friend got a male one,he feeds him 4 cups daily,he looks fat.

My boy is 23 1/2'' tall,looks like muscled,around 24.5kg(a month ago).

What I am going to do is sticking with a good dry food.

What about BARF,I think I have to find a good butcher first.Do you know how much for BARF monthly?

Ta

post-35029-1276178690_thumb.jpg

Edited by js2001

Not a clue how much it would cost you on BARF.

As i said, i feed a good quality dry, and supplement with meat - my dogs always get meat with their dry. Why don't you just add some chicken or beef mince to his food each day. If you are doing this i would feed 1 - 1 1/2 cups of dry plus the meat.

Your boy looks great in that photo! You should bring him along to the sled races :laugh: