Sultanas

Has anyone had experience with this? Adopted dog ate sultanas and because he threw up straight after nothing was done.

15 kgs dog and two days later very passive and not well. At vet on drip for two days and vet is saying possible renal failure.

Would like advice from other people whose dogs have ingested poisonous foods.

I have heard the same, that not all dogs are affected, but that it causes renal failure in those that are.

When Kivi was young he ate half a packet of Neurofen (I have no idea where he got them from). I was away from home and just had OH on the phone telling me he was throwing up but was otherwise acting fine. He didn't know about the Neurofen. He took Kivi to the vets and he stayed overnight, but they didn't think anything was seriously amiss. I got home 2 days later and found a chewed up packet of Neurofen in the bedroom. Called the vets, trained it into the city to pick up the car from OH, raced back, took Kivi to the vet and he had tests of kidney function done. They hospitalised him and aggressively hydrated him for the next 24 hours until his kidney function was back to normal. They said no permanent damage, and he may have recovered fully without the treatment, but it was better to not risk it and treat it aggressively as it wasn't going to hurt him if they did.

I see a lot of sultana toxicity at work.

Sometimes we get a double or tripple whammie as dog presents with chocolate toxicity, we induce vomiting only to find the chocolate was fruit and nut.

Some nuts are also toxic.

Not all dogs are affected by sultanas but we always err on the side of caution and make owners aware of the risks even if vomiting was induced only an hour or so after ingestion.

Owners HAVE to know the risk/worst case scenario.

Sad news vicdrg :thumbsup:

Our pup ingested half a pack of of birth control pills last week but luckily that was all she ate and is ok (it seems she can open our vanity drawers...)