Please Watch Your Dogs Around Onions

percyk

it has probably been posted lots of times but after hearing what happens to a dog eating bbqued onions i thought id just let others know

be careful

onions can be lethal

i rarely use onions anyway cos we arent so into them but i was very conscious of the fact that tonights chicken casserole had them...was extra watchful that all family members hadnt left any onion scraps that might drop to the floor

onions can kill and if the dog survives theres usually a huge expense at the vets

so please be careful

oh...grapes chocolate and raisins too....ham at christmas time has been known to take a few victims

all this is well-known to experienced dog owners but to all the newbies ...please pass on the warning

Yes our Bruno broke into the pantry when we were out once when he was a pup

ate 4 onions.... Had to take straight to vets, was given something to induce vomiting then had to stay over night with a drip in... Was very scary...

He had the worst onion breath for days... we can now laugh, coz he is all good...

I think 4 raw onions would make me explode too. And the farts - you could power a small town with onion farts.

Frosty got a few bits of cooked onion from the local footy club bbq and survived ok, I had to catch her to stop her from cleaning up completely, she'd have been very happy if I'd just "watched".

we used to put dog pills inside a raisin. And our aussie terrier ate 3/4 of a football chocolate filled iwth choc truffles and then - fortunately for her - she sickked it up every where. It did put her off chocolate somewhat.

There's lists of things that dogs must not have that we used to feed in small amounts in left overs and I wouldn't do that now. A lot of nuts are on that list. Not peanut but macadamias - not that I'm willing to share macadamias with anybody, and walnuts. She'd really like some date and walnut slice and "bad for dogs" is a good excuse to eat it all myself.

My maltese once somehow managed to find one of those paper bottles/cans of Cadbury hot chocolate powder, took the top off and wolfed down the lot!!! :laugh: A lot of panicking ensued and she did feel sick for a day or two, but she survived. That dog had a huge chocolate craving and making sure everything chocolate was stored away was a nightmare :thumbsup: She used to be able to sniff chocolate out from plastic bags when we came back from grocery shopping and were unpacking, bite a hole through it and drag the chocolate out even. Nightmare!