Sutherland Shire Dog Club

I'm getting my new pup Bailey next week and have already enrolled him in puppy preschool. I have been looking around for a club that does obedience and agility and flyball and it looks like Sutherland dog club does all of this! Its only 20 minutes from my house and I am more than happy to drive even further if necessary.

So the question is, does anyone go here and what can you tell me about it?

I deliberately don't go there. :)

They have a bad reputation as yank and crankers for obedience, but they aren't like that for agility and flyball. I'm doing agility at the South Coast Dog Training Club in Dapto, but I expect once I have a vague idea what I'm doing I'll switch to agility at Sutherland. The 50 minute drive is a bit rough.

Which puppy preschool are you going to? Will we get to see you around at Carina Bay dog park? :laugh:

Whereabouts are you corvus? You could always come do agility at PICSI :laugh: I would love to meet Eric. I can promise that you may meet a couple of good agility Corgis as well as Kelpies and BCs :)

I've only been to Sutherland for a agility comp, sorry.

But I vote for going to the SCDTC for agiltiy as corvus does. One day that is when your pup is older. Their obedience class would be OK but it is too early for me and too far for you? I can ask but I don't know of any other good obedience clubs around Wollongong area.

Corvus - Which dog and class are you doing at SCDTC ? You are keen to travel but it will be worth it.

And Kavik is right - I went to PICSI for one training night and we had a great time.

I'm in Jannali, next suburb north of Sutherland. I actually hate long drives, but I looked around at all the clubs nearby and asked for recommendations here and decided it was either travel an hour on the freeway for Dapto or an hour through Sydney to Parramatta. I like freeway driving better. :laugh:

Erik and I did the relationship course at SCDTC back in March and start foundation agility next week. I like the things they teach there and the relationship course is such a great introduction. So far I've found the trainers to be really helpful and terribly tolerant of my questions. Plus, there's another Vallhund going through with us so every time Erik does something obnoxious I can point at the other Vall and say "See, he's doing it too! It's not me!" :laugh:

Where's PICSI?

Laffi takes her dogs to Sutherland for agility.

You never know, Kavik. We'll see how I go.

In the meantime, you can always check out my tugging fiend on YouTube:

:o

I don't know how a 10.6kg dog can make himself so heavy. It's a good workout trying to drag that dog around on the end of a tug toy. :)

Maybe I will see you next Wed then. :)

As I know the lady with the Vallhund you mention, you will be the other vallhund! Easy!

I sometimes meet Lisa walking her vallhunds at the dog beach. She walks them in groups of 4 in different shifts. Luv her dogs and she is also very experienced with dogs.

Your Erik will do well at training. Have fun - hope it is worth the drive for you.

Edited by skip

Cool, you'll have to introduce yourself, skip. :o

Lisa is fabulous. She brought three of her kids along to our last southern Sydney/Wollongong beach meet. They are heaps of fun, and she's a great trainer. :cheer: Erik thinks the sun shines out of Pilatus' rear. :)

South Coast club is defaineltly worth the drive.I have done the relationship and foundation class but now just attend Wollongong dog Sports Club.

SCDT runs classes in blocks so you may have to wait a while to get in if they have just started a class

Edited by 4 Paws

I am another who does the long drive down to South Coast club for agility since moving to Sutherland recently... I have attended a number of agility clubs throughout Sydney over the last few years and South Coast is by far the best I've found. Very well worth the drive!!! Great training and Great people :laugh:

I also train at PICSI (Parramatta) and have for the last few years, also a good club with great people, but I don't think their beginner classes are as extensive as SC club. (also the drive up there through the peak hour traffic can be a pain from here)

I haven't attended Sutherland club in years, but I was pretty put off by their obedience section and the yank the poor dog around on a chain training, I did alittle agility there before I moved away but that was years ago so I don't know how it is now, I see some of the Sutherland Ladies at trials and they are nice :rofl: but I don't think I would train there again.

• 1 month later...

May I ask what you mean when you say yankers?

I only ask because I have been going to Sutherland for about 4 months now and I have found most of the trainers to be very gentle and never once been instructed to yank or pull my dog in an agressive manner.

As a matter of fact I have seen people asked to leave the club because they have handled their dogs in an aggressive manner?

I may have misinterpreted your comments - hence why I am asking for you to clarify your response?

I am a senior instructor with Sutherland Shire Dog Training Club and am most definitely a positive trainer as are most of the instructors at the club. We do have one instructor who still believes in check chains but he does use food rewards. You always have a choice to go to another instructor if for any reason you do not like something. You also have the advantage at Sutherland of being able to do Agility, Flyball, Dancing with Dogs, Canine Mans Best Friend and if you dog is suitable we have a group of handlers and therapy dogs going to Shire nursing homes. If you like you can pm me with any questions.

Noella.

That's good to know, Mrsdog. Don't take this the wrong way as I mean it as constructive criticism... When I was looking at Sutherland I was looking at the obedience requirements that are required for the dog to advance a level. There was a lot of mention of corrections, which really turned me off.

I think perhaps you were reading the promotional requirements wrong. "Checking the dog is only meant to be a slight check on the lead". Promotional requirements from 2 - 3 too much "checking" will result in failure. 3-4 too much checking will be failed. However, this is a hopelessly outdated page from 100 years ago (seems like) and isn't all that clear. I will look into it and have it brought up-to-date. Thanks for your input.

Noels