Target Torch

Hey Erny

I think you could train most dogs to make your dinner and eat it for you.

Lordy - if my boy could learn to make my dinner (the way I like it, not the way he'd have it, LOL), I'd even be more than happy to share it with him :laugh:.

Hey Erny

I think you could train most dogs to make your dinner and eat it for you.

Lordy - if my boy could learn to make my dinner (the way I like it, not the way he'd have it, LOL), I'd even be more than happy to share it with him :laugh:.

;)

I can see it now.

A lovely raw steak, scattered with a delicate later of cold roo mince. Delicious!!

Most of his own 'things' have names, and I can ask him to go get them by name.

That would be handy, if it weren't mostly my things they dragged under the bed ;) I can squeeze under the bed to get everything out myself... Although it isn't something that I enjoy doing :laugh:

If thats the case then target and clicker would work really well for this. You can use a target stick.
I think Jeanne is training for conformation shows, where the dog is supposed to look ahead not up?

Yes that is what I am doing. When she is heeling she is looking up at me and tends to swing her bum in towards me and walk sideways (it's hard to explain, it's like she's trying to wrap her body around me the little cutie) which is NOT what I want her doing in the show ring! I used the target stick in our last training session to move her away from me and getting her to look ahead, it worked beautifully, her body straightened out, she walked very nicely, but it was very fiddly and I wondered how to transfer this to walking with no target stick at all?

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions, there are some wonderful ideas here :cheer:

Yes that is what I am doing. When she is heeling she is looking up at me and tends to swing her bum in towards me and walk sideways (it's hard to explain, it's like she's trying to wrap her body around me the little cutie) which is NOT what I want her doing in the show ring! I used the target stick in our last training session to move her away from me and getting her to look ahead, it worked beautifully, her body straightened out, she walked very nicely, but it was very fiddly and I wondered how to transfer this to walking with no target stick at all?

Show dogs are supposed to focus up ahead & they're allowed to pull on the leash, right? So could you teach her to pull towards a target off in the distance?

My girl does this off a leash as the start of a send away, I hold her back & work her up then release her to run & pounce on her target, then she gets marked as soon as her feet hit it. Eventually I'll put the target further & further away until she can't see it anymore but learns it is always in the direction I have pointed. Could you do a similar thing with your girl, only on leash, getting her to focus on & pull towards a target?

Just a thought, may not work at all since I know very little about how a dog is supposed to move for conformation shows?

I can see it now. A lovely raw steak, scattered with a delicate later of cold roo mince. Delicious!!

:laugh:

Jeanne - I presume you use the word command "heel"? You would do well I think to change that command for when you don't want "heel" in the way obedience seeks "heel". In other words, start from scratch with a new command.

If she is wrapping her bottom behind and crowding around your leg, that's not wanted in obedience "heel" anyway and if this is something you want to pursue I'd suggest you would need to re-work your training of "heel". But that's not what you asked in this thread, so I'm not sure if that detail is something you have need of.

Can you arrange for a show training lesson once a week with someone who's style you admire? In WA there are several people and breed clubs who conduct show training throughout the week. Maybe contact your Canine control for more information.

Most of his own 'things' have names, and I can ask him to go get them by name.

That would be handy, if it weren't mostly my things they dragged under the bed ;) I can squeeze under the bed to get everything out myself... Although it isn't something that I enjoy doing :laugh:

If thats the case then target and clicker would work really well for this. You can use a target stick.
I think Jeanne is training for conformation shows, where the dog is supposed to look ahead not up?

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions, there are some wonderful ideas here :cheer:

Edited by bedazzledx2

Show dogs are supposed to focus up ahead & they're allowed to pull on the leash, right? So could you teach her to pull towards a target off in the distance?

They are "allowed" to, but some say it puts their front out, affecting their movement, I'd prefer her to walk on a loose lead and focus ahead.

I think your girl would love flyball from what you've said :shrug:

Jeanne - I presume you use the word command "heel"? You would do well I think to change that command for when you don't want "heel" in the way obedience seeks "heel". In other words, start from scratch with a new command.

If she is wrapping her bottom behind and crowding around your leg, that's not wanted in obedience "heel" anyway and if this is something you want to pursue I'd suggest you would need to re-work your training of "heel". But that's not what you asked in this thread, so I'm not sure if that detail is something you have need of.

I use the command "walk", signaled with my right hand for showing, and "heel" with my left hand for heeling. The leg wrapping I'm not sure how that came about, a quest to be really close to my leg I think, I should be able to work that out through shaping, I haven't really done that much heel work with her but it is something she simply LOVES to do and will always do given the chance, even on a walk sometimes (offlead), which I think is why she occasionally does it even to the "walk" command.

Can you arrange for a show training lesson once a week with someone who's style you admire? In WA there are several people and breed clubs who conduct show training throughout the week. Maybe contact your Canine control for more information.

Hmm we do have a group at our club that do show training, but I'll leave them to it for my own reasons that I wont go into here :mad

They are "allowed" to, but some say it puts their front out, affecting their movement, I'd prefer her to walk on a loose lead and focus ahead.

I think your girl would love flyball from what you've said :shrug:

Oh hmmm oh well, twas just a thought.

Tee hee, I think my girl would love absolutely anything that involved running, jumping, and biting stuff. We have other fish to fry first though. :mad

If you go to www.dragonflyllama.com there is an article on gaiting for the show ring. I've not read it but it's by Sue Ailsby so I will vouch for it's brilliance without bothering to read it.

Thanks Aidan, good idea - I hadn't thought of that! I know she has something on free stacking which was a bit complicated and I thought "I'll read it later", but that was before Mango even arrived home. Thankfully all I've had to do is only click Mango when she's stacked nicely and she has learnt this one herself with no trouble at all. Ah I love that pup :laugh: