Introducing "new" Dog Toys To Family Dogs?

I have two dogs, both play great together with "old" toys, however my Lab will not allow my other dog to play with any new toy that I introduce to them. He growls when the other one goes anywhere near it. At this stage my other dog is backing down but I do get nervous that one-day he will fight back.

I give both dogs the same new toy that is of the same value, however my Lab always wants the one he hasn’t got even though they are exactly the same. Squeaking toys are now just out of the question as they have had a tiff over one before.

I was thinking maybe I can give the new toys to my Lab to play with on his own, then introduce them to my other dog once the high value of the "new" toys no longer exist with my Lab?

Both love playing together with toys that have been around and hold no real value, but new toys are a problem. I know I could just say well... no more toys, but is there a way to introduce new toys?

I may be completely wrong :cheer: but one of my dogs used to resource guard new toys and I would tell her off, she has not done it for years now. they also have to wait (TOT) before having the new toy. I'm not an expert so I could be miles off track, but it works for us. In my situation, I would not allow the guarder to have the toy to herself as she would end up really protective of it. I have 2 dogs and when we have new toys (apart from xmas and b'days) they get one toy between them, I taught them to have 'turns' (resource guarder has to wait, and vice versa) and then they play with it together. I can't afford to allow my guarder to get bossy, that's my job :cheer: ;)

hope it all works out, I'm sure it will. There are some great experts on here who would know what is best. :laugh::cheer:

We have a resource guarder who isn't interested in the toys until the puppy has them :laugh:

I don't know if this is correct, but when I introduce toys I play with them along with the dogs, and encourage them to share with each other and me. I do this the first few times the new toys are played with. After this it seems their "newness" has worn off and the resource guarder isn't interested anymore.

He does get an "uh-uh" if he starts to guard and is then encouraged to share. On the positive side, it has taught the puppy not to go and steal things from older dogs ;)

We have a resource guarder who isn't interested in the toys until the puppy has them :shrug:

I don't know if this is correct, but when I introduce toys I play with them along with the dogs, and encourage them to share with each other and me. I do this the first few times the new toys are played with. After this it seems their "newness" has worn off and the resource guarder isn't interested anymore.

He does get an "uh-uh" if he starts to guard and is then encouraged to share. On the positive side, it has taught the puppy not to go and steal things from older dogs :cry:

I know in the home environment resource guarding is not the ideal, but telling off the guarder...is that giving more power to the underdog? I know I am the top dog of the pack, but will this confuse the pack hierarchy between the two dogs? The last thing I want to do is give more power to my younger dog especially in the toy department. Like you said it taught your pup not to steal things from older dogs. Maybe I am looking into it too much!:mad

I may be completely wrong :D but one of my dogs used to resource guard new toys and I would tell her off, she has not done it for years now. they also have to wait (TOT) before having the new toy. I'm not an expert so I could be miles off track, but it works for us. In my situation, I would not allow the guarder to have the toy to herself as she would end up really protective of it. I have 2 dogs and when we have new toys (apart from xmas and b'days) they get one toy between them, I taught them to have 'turns' (resource guarder has to wait, and vice versa) and then they play with it together. I can't afford to allow my guarder to get bossy, that's my job ;) :mad

hope it all works out, I'm sure it will. There are some great experts on here who would know what is best. :shrug::rofl:

I have found in the past with my guys that "waiting" just builds tension between them, I think the less fuss I make the better. Like Wuffles has stated, I might have to get in on the action and start playing with them. Should be fun :cry:

:mad Playing sounds good.

mine are OK with the 'wait' thing as it's normal, they have to wait for food, go in or out, get in and out of the car, gate etc. I had to teach them both self control at a young age, gun dogs can be rather silly :shrug: and over the top.

I know in the home environment resource guarding is not the ideal, but telling off the guarder...is that giving more power to the underdog? I know I am the top dog of the pack, but will this confuse the pack hierarchy between the two dogs? The last thing I want to do is give more power to my younger dog especially in the toy department. Like you said it taught your pup not to steal things from older dogs. Maybe I am looking into it too much!:shrug:

Good point, our older dog is top dog (behind us) and our younger doesn't challenge him. Maybe it would be different if I thought they would actually fight over the toys.