The Benefits Of Being On A Club Committee

I'm not claiming anything here will be new for the old timers and feel free to add anything I have missed.

Benefits:

- Make friends

- Get to know local doggie "history", the war stories can explain a lot about why things are the way they are today in your local area

- Expand your dog network considerably, and you never know when that will help with your own plans

- Learn in detail everything involved with running a show and a club, the former helps with your participation in dog world and the latter is just a good life skill

- For both show committee and stewards, an opportunity to meet and chat with a range of judges over lunch. Great opportunity to listen and learn.

- A chance to polish up or learn skills like marketing, organisational skills, financial skills, event management, publishing etc etc

And if you're planning to be a judge in ACT anyway you HAVE to demonstrate you have participated in a club committee and stewarded etc.

Yes there is stuff about it that is a drag, including the corrupt; the arseholes; the hopeless and the helpless. And yes sometimes your local club is a closed shop or rather dysfunctional. However, in many places this isn't so and if it is, there's probably another club out there that could use your help.

Yes there is stuff about it that is a drag, including the corrupt; the arseholes; the hopeless and the helpless. And yes sometimes your local club is a closed shop or rather dysfunctional.

and sometimes the club is perceived as a closed shop or dysfunctional by the corrupt; the arseholes, the hopeless and the helpless :laugh: , when in reality it's not. In other words don't take everything you are told as gospel, find out things for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Everyone should have to steward, work in the office & work in the canteen at least once a year......some wingers might realise that is is unpaid and unrewarding but if no one did it then there would be no show !!

JMO

Justine

Yes there is stuff about it that is a drag, including the corrupt; the arseholes; the hopeless and the helpless. And yes sometimes your local club is a closed shop or rather dysfunctional.

and sometimes the club is perceived as a closed shop or dysfunctional by the corrupt; the arseholes, the hopeless and the helpless :( , when in reality it's not. In other words don't take everything you are told as gospel, find out things for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Or have everything confirmed.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit negative about the whole committee thing, lately, but I don't see too many benefits.

Friendships can certainly be made outside of a committee situation, and I haven't really had any skills polished LOL (Except the skill of being abused and whinged at...)

I guess I have learned more about what goes into running a show, and that has given me a greater appreciation for the behind-the-scenes work in a sport I enjoy. So for that, I am grateful :(

The benefit of being on a club committee is that you learn a lot about people whether that be good or bad - you get to see people at their best, at their worst and anywhere in between.

There are a lot of people who are there for the right reason and give tirelessly, those who have good intentions but don't really deliver a lot and those who are there with a specific agenda whatever that may be (this is where the political games can start).

Unfortunately it's just the nature of people that everyone's different and has different opinions and agendas which is just a brilliant recipe for conflict. The clubs who manage this conflict properly are usually the most successful, the ones who don't seem to be the ones full of fighting and animosity.

I can be infuriating, interesting and entertaining at times but the bottom line is, without the clubs (for which you need to have committees) there'd be no shows happening.