Labrador Breeders

W Sibs

Aussie - no flame but I'm surprised you'd fall for the 'chocs are more boisterious' argument. Excitability etc. comes down to temperament and training, there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that a colour has any say in behaviour.

'Excitability' is a temperament trait that is mostly determined by genetics. Training won't make a dog less excitable, it will just appropriately channel the excitement.

If chocs are produced by a breeders that don't bred purely to produce dogs of that colour, there should be no difference in temperament from the rest of the breed. Breeders that do breed for colour limit themselves to a much smaller gene pool, and are not putting temperament as their first priority, so it is more likely the dogs will not have as good temperaments as pups that are bred with temperament as a higher priority than colour.

If enough breeders start breeding only the one colour, and do not ever introduce dogs of other colours back into their lines, their lines can be considered an offshoot of the genepool, and differences may start to emerge. You can even end up with a different breed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... she is still unhappy. She really does wants a puppy.

But, after talking to her husband... he is now iffy about getting a puppy especially after I inform him how much a puppy would cost them (after a very lovely breeder told me how much a choc lab will cost). They can't justify spending that much money on a puppy.

So, right now, they are holding off in getting a puppy for at least a year or two (but, i'm hoping they have another kid, so they hold it off for another year or two...!)

But they are eventually going to get a puppy.. hopefully when that times comes, they are ready for it.

Edited by CW EW

Well... she is still unhappy. She really does wants a puppy.

But, after talking to her husband... he is now iffy about getting a puppy especially after I inform him how much a puppy would cost them (after a very lovely breeder told me how much a choc lab will cost). They can't justify spending that much money on a puppy.

So, right now, they are holding off in getting a puppy for at least a year or two (but, i'm hoping they have another kid, so they hold it off for another year or two...!)

Well, at least you have managed to put them off for a year or two :laugh: Hopefully they will be able to think about what a committment a dog is during this time.

Perhaps when the kids are older, they may be in a better situation to think about getting a dog.

So they're aware that a puppy is not just a one off cost, either? All those vet bills, and all those bills coming their way to repair all the damage a puppy Lab can do, especially being an outdoor only dog :laugh:

That is great they are holding off for a while, though! Will give them a chance to think about things and hopefully when the baby(ies) arrive their hands will be too full to think of getting a dog!

So they're aware that a puppy is not just a one off cost, either? All those vet bills, and all those bills coming their way to repair all the damage a puppy Lab can do, especially being an outdoor only dog :laugh:

That is great they are holding off for a while, though! Will give them a chance to think about things and hopefully when the baby(ies) arrive their hands will be too full to think of getting a dog!

Nope.. they don't think about stuff like that UNTIL it happens.

That's my thinking too!