Labrador Breeders (and Others) Advice Please

aussielover

Not sure which forum to put this in, but I thought breeders would have the most experience in this area.

My puppy has a deep set vulva - has a fold around it, which means she is prone to UTIs and pyoderma in that area. The vet suggested it may come good as she gets bigger. she also said we might have to let her have one season so that it does come good- how would this help?.

Has anyone had this problem in a pup before and what was the outcome?

she is a guide dog puppy, so i don't have a lot of say in her treament plan but any suggestions I could pass on would be very welcome :)

If she is very prone to uti's and keeps getting them she may not make it as a guide dog

Allowing her to have that first season DEFINITELY helps!! Because when the vulva swells during the season, it pops out and tends to remain in a better position from then on. I have two young females (sisters!!) who have both had their first season over the past few months and their vulvas are sitting MUCH better now. :-)

Have had this before in bitches and it fixed itself as they matured.

Another thing was after bath or swim time, we made sure that we dried under the fold of skin as well.

Although being told they were more prone to UTI's etc....none of the ones I saw ever did.

:)