Puppies And Computers

baf65

ok so now my latest issue is....i work from home...my laptop sits on the kitchen counter (this is were it has to be so cannot relocate it)

the puppy is insistent on chewing the cable...and just now nearly pulled the laptop off the counter....i nearly had a heart attack!

i work from home so have to access the laptop all day, when im sitting on the couch with it he is jumping up and chewing the cable or trying to attack the keyboard!

i can put him in his puppy pen but surely i cant keep on doing that everytime i need to do something

ive tried spraying the cable with something distasteful but its not working

any suggestions? is this something that im going to have to live with or something that will pass?

ive put him outside for 2mins in timeout! what is the right thing to do when they do something you dont want to continue?

My puppy chewed the cable on my laptop and managed to kill the computer. Massive PITA! :mad Luckily he was fine, even though the cord was sparking a bit :mad

It was the first time he'd done it so I didn't even get a chance to try and stop it. Good luck to you, I hope you get it sorted!

We found that a very loud and disapproving: "No!" was enough to stop Elbie chewing cables. He doesn't chew cables anymore and ambles around in the vicinity of telephone, speaker and computer cables all the time - under supervision of course. That being said, he does still attack his towel and the brand new dog futon we bought him :)

I found eucalyptus oil to be the best deterrent for chewing on things. I tried other things but eucalyptus oil was the only thing that worked.

+1

Nicolatu, I think it was you who told me about eucalyptus oil originally. I owe you a thanks! :laugh:

We have had similar issues - Genevieve completely severred my mobile phone charger... Luckily my cable-fix-it-man Husband was able to solder it back together.

We have our lappys on the bench and dining room table also. When I'm not actively on it, I leave it on the bench with the cable coiled up on the bench (still plugged in). No cables hanging down attracting the attention of Little G! That way when I go to use it, I unplug it and usually has enough battery to let me do what I need to do. However she has still managed to crack my keyboard as she tries to climb over me on the couch! We have pretty much set up a work station at the dining room table just to avoid that problem.

I also stuffed a ball inside a pair of thick (really thick) stockings and tied it to the leg of the table. This keeps her busy when I am on the computer.... she can be in the same room playing but is distracted from the things I don't want her playing with!