Hair Loss On The Ear...

I've noticed recently that the ear fur on one of my dogs comes out easily and it doesn't look like new fur is growing back. He's about 4 years old. The ear looks a little dry but isn't bleeding, itchy or scabby.

I don't like these little black bald skin patches and am calling the vet clinic tomorrow but was wondering whether anyone else has come across this at all? Could it be food intolerance or allergies?

EDITED: Uh, never mind. I think it's the first case of fleas since having dogs for over 10 years. :shrug: My other dog has a bald patch on her leg, thinning hair, dermatitis and suspicious little black specks. Sigh. It had to happen on a Sunday night, just after school holidays too.... :rofl:

post-31305-1278852108_thumb.jpg

post-31305-1278852116_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ms Genki

Just returned from the vet who said some dogs are susceptible to hair loss on the ears when spending time in cold weather. Reuben spent a night at the RSPCA last week when he busted out so we're guessing it's attributable to that because he's an indoor dog who only goes out for toilet breaks and walks in winter. We're to keep an eye on it for now in case it worsens to bleeding or cracking.

Some flea treatment medication is on it's way via Aus Post but I'm so relieved I don't have to spend the weekend cleaning and sanitising everything. :laugh:

Thank you to those who replied anyway. After trawling through the numerous flea threads last night, I wouldn't wish fleas on my worst enemy.

Edited by Ms Genki

Stickfast fleas tend to gather around ears but you would see them there.

The regular flea gathers around the tail base and sometimes you can see them running across the belly but ear tips is not a normal place for them to be. :laugh:

Glad you figured it out. One of the labs here at work has had a funny moult this year and is shedding again for the 3rd or 4th time!

Edited by Staff'n'Toller