Feeding Tips

before i completely hijack the other thread. - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...15&start=15

thanks sandra777.

a few more questions - sorry im a n00b to the dog game

so if i go to the butcher and ask for lamb flaps and veal pieces he wont look at me like wtf??? lol....

what type of raw bones are good to get them to chew on?????

Edited by Little Monster

I don't know where abouts in NSW you are but check out www.justfood4dogs.com.au They have quite a selection: brisket bones, lamb flaps, lamb necks, chicken carcusses, wings and necks and roo tailbones at good prices. Yes, you have to buy bulk, but if you feed raw it is pretty much the best way to do it economically.

before i completely hijack the other thread. - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...15&start=15

thanks sandra777.

a few more questions - sorry im a n00b to the dog game

so if i go to the butcher and ask for lamb flaps and veal pieces he wont look at me like wtf??? lol....

what type of raw bones are good to get them to chew on?????

Stalking you :)

Nope - butcher won't think you're weird, promise! Lamb flaps are the flank with some rib attached, they're usually quite fatty so may need a trim, but some people stuff them, roll them up and slow cook them, make a yummy but very fatty meal, so people food anyway.

Bones to chew on? - these are bones to chew on, but they eat them. Do you mean those huge bones you see sometimes? Well, decide for yourself but I never give those to my dogs - they are the hard weight bearing bones of very heavy animals, virtually undigestable and with a dog with strong jaws like yours and mine, they can break pieces off so you're begging for a blockage. If they don't break bits off the hardness of the bone grinds the dog's teeth down. ''In the wild'' the only thing I know of that cracks the leg bones of big animals are hyenas.

OK...my GSD's get any of the following i can get my hands on...

Turkey - tails, necks, wings, legs, frames

Chicken - whole, wings, legs, frames, necks, quarters, feet

Beef - necks bones, leg bones (as recreational bones not meal bones), rib bones if they are whole not split

Lamb - flaps, ribs, necks, spines, offcuts

Pork - feet, legs, ears, spines, necks, off cuts, tails

Roo - tail bones

Fish - sardines in oil, sardines in jelly (cat tinned food), fresh fish - i tried salmon heads etc...and the dogs only ate them once they were old enough to roll in :)

Edited by KitKat

i tried salmon heads etc...and the dogs only ate them once they were old enough to roll in :laugh:

I tried fish heads once and the big brave Staffords wouldn't go near them and hid inside until I picked them up :) Oddly they don't mind their pig heads looking at them :)