Some Small Successes For Puppy

koalathebear

Thanks for that info KTB, we'll be working on our heeling. :laugh:

We use the same marker word for both the kiddies, we also use clickers with them as well. Release words are the same as well, but if I'm only releasing one of them at a time I say their name first. Mars understands what I'm trying to do as he has grown a brain.. Pepper not so much yet, still a bit of brain growing to go..

ETA: Randomness about words ... When Elbie was younger, i wasn't convinced that Elbie was responding to his name and was just responding to our tone of voice so I used to call out: "Bonzo!!" I always looked startled when Elbie ignored it and only responded to his name - OH was very disgusted that I was under-rating our pup's intellect. :)

The pups have to wait until I release them for brekie and dinner, one day I was thinking if they actually knew 'OK' was their release word so I yelled out words like "octopus, oh no, oops" etc etc, anything I could think of. They flinched when they heard the 'o' part, but never moved. Sometimes Pepper does think that 'Good girl' is sort of a release word, when they are waiting outside to be let in I'll ask her to sit and when I say good girl she stands again.. :laugh:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pups have to wait until I release them for brekie and dinner, one day I was thinking if they actually knew 'OK' was their release word so I yelled out words like "octopus, oh no, oops" etc etc, anything I could think of. They flinched when they heard the 'o' part, but never moved. Sometimes Pepper does think that 'Good girl' is sort of a release word, when they are waiting outside to be let in I'll ask her to sit and when I say good girl she stands again.. :laugh:

With me screaming out "bonzo" and you exclaiming "octopus", I wonder if our pups ever think: "My humans are bonkers." :)

ETA: Yes, when my OH and I imagine Elbie 'speaking' about us, we imagine that he refers to us as "my humans". :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

I just saw a Kong Wobbler in Petbarn Belconnen. Not sure how much it cost though!

I shall have to investigate, we have Bob-a-lot which is similar.. but different colour/styles of treat dispensers to keep the kids entertained is a must!

With me screaming out "bonzo" and you exclaiming "octopus", I wonder if our pups ever think: "My humans are bonkers." :thumbsup:

ETA: Yes, when my OH and I imagine Elbie 'speaking' about us, we imagine that he refers to us as "my humans". :rofl:

:):laugh: Gorgeous!

On the topic of training and choice of words. We use:

'down' to get her to lie down (most people I believe use 'drop'),

'drop' to get her to spit things out of her mouth (have no idea what everyone else uses, maybe their dogs don't try to run off with their belongings!!!!),

'Off' if she jumps up on us or furniture (anything I don't want her on really),

'Let's go' for heel,

'OK' as a release word...

One woman at school was less than impressed with us using down to get her to drop. The reason we use these words, is that all the other dogs in the family have been trained with the same words. It kind of made sense to me to keep them all the same. What ever works right? As long as the dog does what you want it to do...

A lady at school uses 'Treats' as her release word, and throws her arms up in the air! You should see her pony sized dog come running!!! I have to say, if I shake the treat bag and say to G 'Do you want a treat? Mummy's got a treat!', she comes bunny hoping along pretty enthusiastically herself!!! It works more effectively than 'Come'!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well its a big win for me.. although it seems very minor..

So for a long long long long long long long while now OH and I have been attempting to teach Pepper 'shake' without much success as she generally likes to keep all fours on the ground. Well.... today after a not so great training session with Mars, I thought I would see how Pepper does with recall. She was great, bolted straight over, unlike Mr. Mars who does it in his own time and trots over slowly. So then I thought we may aswell attempt shake again.. tried a few times and nothing.. then.. asked again and presto, her paw was in my hand! :D Now she won't stop offering a shake!

I know its nothing big at all, but for me and Pepper its pretty big. Only took us... 5 months! :o

Well its a big win for me.. although it seems very minor..

So for a long long long long long long long while now OH and I have been attempting to teach Pepper 'shake' without much success as she generally likes to keep all fours on the ground. Well.... today after a not so great training session with Mars, I thought I would see how Pepper does with recall. She was great, bolted straight over, unlike Mr. Mars who does it in his own time and trots over slowly. So then I thought we may aswell attempt shake again.. tried a few times and nothing.. then.. asked again and presto, her paw was in my hand! :D Now she won't stop offering a shake!

I know its nothing big at all, but for me and Pepper its pretty big. Only took us... 5 months! ;)

Yay you! Yay Pepper! ;) :o That's awesome! You never know which tricks are going to be the ones that take ages - and then suddenly they click! So happy for you re the shake! I'll wait for the video! :laugh:

As for training sessions, don't worry - we all have those days. Don't forget Elbie spent most of the class before sin-binned in the car. I think HH might have even forgotten about him.

As for tricks that Hoover just cannot do right now - I can't make him 'beg' and worse ... he won't chase a ball! ;)

Yay you! Yay Pepper! ;) :D That's awesome! You never know which tricks are going to be the ones that take ages - and then suddenly they click! So happy for you re the shake! I'll wait for the video! ;)

As for training sessions, don't worry - we all have those days. Don't forget Elbie spent most of the class before sin-binned in the car. I think HH might have even forgotten about him.

As for tricks that Hoover just cannot do right now - I can't make him 'beg' and worse ... he won't chase a ball! :o

Thanks! :laugh: It took Mars about 10 mins to learn and I put lots of time trying to teach Pepper 'shake', so a pretty big thing for me. LOL.

I think the main thing in training today was that Mars doesn't need me or care much about me. ;) Pups are now getting split up during the day to see if that will help. Ah, feeling so loved...

Thanks! :laugh: It took Mars about 10 mins to learn and I put lots of time trying to teach Pepper 'shake', so a pretty big thing for me. LOL.

I think the main thing in training today was that Mars doesn't need me or care much about me. ;) Pups are now getting split up during the day to see if that will help. Ah, feeling so loved...

Nooooo I'm sure it's just that in a high distraction environment, Mars is just very distracted and takes familiar things and people for granted... In any case, HH is always very happy to help so I hope she gave you time and suggestions for what to do.

Remember, when we had our consult way back when, she told me that Elbie didn't respect me at all :laugh: I felt so bad at the time but he's improved heaps.

Also, OH wanted to apologise for dashing off after class without saying anything - Hoover was at the vet's and was supposed to have been collected at 10.45am and from what I can gather, class didn't finish until 10.55! ;) He says he hit every single red light on the way to try to retrieve Hoover before the vet closed their doors. :D

ETA: Also - OH does not want to do the snake training thing at all - especially the bit that involves yelling and running :o I'm very bemused about the fact that it's supposed to be easy for us to find a turtle to train on??? ;)

Edited by koalathebear

Nooooo I'm sure it's just that in a high distraction environment, Mars is just very distracted and takes familiar things and people for granted... In any case, HH is always very happy to help so I hope she gave you time and suggestions for what to do.

Remember, when we had our consult way back when, she told me that Elbie didn't respect me at all :laugh: I felt so bad at the time but he's improved heaps.

Also, OH wanted to apologise for dashing off after class without saying anything - Hoover was at the vet's and was supposed to have been collected at 10.45am and from what I can gather, class didn't finish until 10.55! :laugh: He says he hit every single red light on the way to try to retrieve Hoover before the vet closed their doors. :thumbsup:

ETA: Also - OH does not want to do the snake training thing at all - especially the bit that involves yelling and running :cheer: I'm very bemused about the fact that it's supposed to be easy for us to find a turtle to train on??? :laugh:

HH was very helpful. :cry: No class next week, but I think I might drop by Bredbo for the herding trials and take a squizz!

I don't want to do the snake training either, I think we would have been running away hysterically from a stick if we had done it today. All good about today, classes do tend to run a bit late, sucks that your OH ran into all those red lights though! Only happens when you're in a rush to be somewhere! LOL

Don't forget to keep an eye out for turtles and lizards! :p

HH was very helpful. :laugh: No class next week, but I think I might drop by Bredbo for the herding trials and take a squizz!

I don't want to do the snake training either, I think we would have been running away hysterically from a stick if we had done it today. All good about today, classes do tend to run a bit late, sucks that your OH ran into all those red lights though! Only happens when you're in a rush to be somewhere! LOL

Don't forget to keep an eye out for turtles and lizards! :shrug:

We still haven't seen any turtles and lizards! We haven't a hope of getting our 'homework' done :mad

We are also intending to go to the herding trials to see what's what - I'd offer you a lift but our backseat is filled with monsters (to be exact!) :) Are you bringing both of yours?

We still haven't seen any turtles and lizards! We haven't a hope of getting our 'homework' done :laugh:

We are also intending to go to the herding trials to see what's what - I'd offer you a lift but our backseat is filled with monsters (to be exact!) :D Are you bringing both of yours?

What time you thinking of going? Not sure if I'll take the kids along.. we shall see..........

• 1 month later...

Small success. Elbie's been able to do "are you shy" for quite some time but Hoover kept scratching the ground unless he actually had tape on his face. With tape on his face he was doing the gesture perfectly but without it, he'd just scratch at the ground like a maniac.

From yesterday he has been doing "Are you shy" quite well. :laugh: Video

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't really a training success, but Ziggy managed to look so cute, and sooo good natured and sooooo generally adorable while we were out today that a photographer asked if she could use her for a model!

(little did the photographer realise, ziggy was only being so good because she was tiered out from her outing! Oh well, she'll find out when we take her in for the shoot :hug: )

IMG_0241.jpg

Ziggy is so cute - there's something so sweet and lovable about border collies - whether at the puppy stage or adult stage!

Both our dogs were using their Nina Ottosson Plastic Dog Brick from wagsalot.com.au tonight.

Elbie has more finesse and it takes him just over a minute to get all the treats out, video

Hoover's a bit of a smasher and it takes him almost 2 minutes. Video

I'm relieved that neither of them just takes the easy option to flip the tray :)

• 2 months later...

OK, I'd better update this since I started the thread.

Elbie's been accepted into beginners agility and is starting to walk better on a loose leash.

My current favourite photo of Hoover the Little Monster - Hoover with his bronze obedience certificate. He now moves into silver with.

DSC06233.jpg

Will leave others to describe their own successes. Clastic? :laugh:

Guest Panzer Attack!

This is absolutely nothing in terms of training, BUT - my pup did his first poop outside! :)

Now I know all about baby brain... I almost made a facebook status update about it! LOL!

OT - but Elbie and Hoover are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute.

This is absolutely nothing in terms of training, BUT - my pup did his first poop outside! :laugh:

Now I know all about baby brain... I almost made a facebook status update about it! LOL!

OT - but Elbie and Hoover are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute.

Congratulations! And housetraining is SUCH an important part of the dog's training that it's definitely a win. Knowing that our dogs are housetrained is such a load off our mind. :laugh:

Thank you for the compliment about the doggies - I adore them even though they are monsters.

Oooh yes, mini-win for us over here! (OK, BIG win for me - LOL)

Passed our Bronze assessment after fretting about it for so long. Sorry to KTB and Mr. KTB for having to listen to me rant about failing for so long. Hehehe!

We didn't pass heeling, but I was already expecting that.. but we did better than I expected.

Next level - we'll have to train more and I need to have a little more faith in us, instead of me being so pessimistic all the time. :confused: