Brown Stains On Dogs Belly, And Muzzle

I'm looking after my mother's Shitzu-Maltese boy, he's 10 years old. He's been here for quite a while, but that's another story. I have been working on rehabilitating this dog while my mother is away, so far, we have reduced his barking, eliminated his food aggression, and made inroads with his snapping at people and dogs.

My latest challenge is that this dog has really bad brown red staining on all his underside, his feet have a bit of staining, also around the mouth and to a lesser extent his eyes. he has had this for as long as I remember, but as he's here, and I've been working on other things with him, I thought I'd ask for your help. This dog gets clipped only every 2-3 months, and he is kept outside. I have been washing him (I use Aloveen), and trying to keep the fur shorter on his beard and around his eyes. I am trying to kep him dry, eg: not let him on wet grass etc. His fur and skin are not overly greasy or dry, he doesn't seem bothered by it.

What causes the staining? What can I use to correct it? How can we prevent it? I'd like to have some sort of plan and treatment under way when she takes him back.

Thanks in advance for any advice

thisa staining is usually caused by the saliva and ph levels - the belly will be because it is licking and the eyes and mouth from the bodily fluids.

As a groomer i see this alot, i ask what are u feeding ur dog? as a good diet will help this - u can try using a tear tain remover on the stained areas though u will need to put it on daily and ask ur groomer to do it after its bath as well and clip or scissor as much out each time as possible - these all will make the staining go away but really u need to work out the cause - like i mentioned earlier it is usually fix through diet. Some dogs lick compusively and this will need training and possibly and elizabethian collar, they can lick also due to rashes and itchiness or hotspots... etc... though most liekly judging from the areas u mentioned and the age of the dog i would say asses the diet :rofl: hope that helps a little pm if u would like more info incase i miss ur reply post lol

From the sounds of it something like Angel Eyes might do the trick Website. The stuff that causes the staining on the eyes and the face has travelled to the feet and belly due to licking.

A course of Angel Eyes, a good diet without any dyes (red or green kibble is a no no) with added things like apple cider vinegar, will keep the staining away.

How fussy is she about clipping?

I enjoyed clipping those mucky bits off my MIL's Malt-Shih X.

He looked a little strange for a couple of weeks :rolleyes:, but clean.

I think the reddish colouring is often the yeast family of bacteria.

Moist fur from excessive licking and/or leftover food is a nice environment for that sort of thing.