Can Someone Please Explain The General Gist Of 'crate Training&#39

Can someone please explain the general gist of 'crate training'?

i have seen it mentioned a few times on here and would like to do a bit of research before we pick up our new furrie on the weekend.

happy days and thanks in advance :confused:

Hi Vernie - just did a quick search on the forum on crate training in the title of posts in the taining forum - here' the list

Crate Training post

Hope that link works. If not - you can do the search yourself - the search button is up near the top of the page second button from the right.

There's also lots of stuff on the internet - just try google search on crate training puppies, or something of that sort.

The basic principle is that you're supplying a place which can feel like a den - so appreciated by the og, but which can be closed so that the dog/puppy is safely contained.

I didn't know about crate taining for my first dogs, but have used it for the lasst 8 years - best thing since sliced bread LOL - great for toilet taining, giving pup a break from kids etc, giving kids, cats, older dogs a break from puppy, travelling - when we stay in dog-friendly houses, the dogs' crates are the first thing to go in, keeping them safe nd happy at trials, in the car ....... and so the list goes on.

My 21 month old BC still sleeps in his crate at night - with the door open, his choice - and when my 8 year old BC bitch wants to mess with his head, like this morning, she will go in there :confused: jsut to see what he'll do (the aanswer is - he doesn't dare do anything :rofl: ).

Hope that helps - and well done for you to get it organised before pup comes home. And don't forget to share pics and stories ;) .

Fantastic Tassie!!!

Thank you sooo much!!

i think i have done it in the past, with boxes - but they tend to get eaten.

i guess the outcome is to end up in the big kennel?

Edited by vernie