Dr Phil - On Now

sheree_e4

It is proven that people that like to harm, torture and kill animals quite often go onto worse

I agree but that is not proof that people who willfully hurt animals are mentally ill or are likely to show the same abuse toward humans.

Similarly, you could say that proof exists that people who eat brussel sprouts quite often go onto cheat on their spouse.

I think it could be an indication of future behavior amongst one type of abuser, but not others. Like I say, I draw an important distinction between those who are indifferent, and those who express regret on moral grounds. The second group is the one of most concern from a mental health perspective.

Its important to try and take a world and historic perspective when you consider this issue. The evidence overwhelmingly supports the view that the concept and feeling of welfare toward animals in an individual or group is conditioned.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Behavioural and psychological issues are different from mental health issues Rommi - that's what I was thinking when I read this. Some people can have both of course, but mental health issues are those that can be clinically diagnosed like schizophrenia. Often people with mental illnesses act in ways they simply can't control - there is no intent to harm or kill. Think of animal hoarders - some of their animals die from neglect because they can't cope, not because they wish harm on the animal.

Conditioning and having an abusive background are behavioural issues and can be changed. Just because someone comes from an abusive background does not mean they have to go on to be abusers themselves, whether that be directed at other humans or animals. Likewise with conditioning - it doesn't mean a person can't at some point think for themselves and make their own decisions. Particularly in today's society where education is the norm in most countries and the Internet exposes us to so many different world experiences and perspectives. So a decision to continue being part of something that might be considered morally wrong by general society becomes a personal one at some point. That could be because you like it or because you want to fit in or because you're scared of not doing it. That isn't a 'mental illness'. And "I didn't know it was wrong" or "I didn't know any better" is not a mental illness either - that's more commonly known as ignorance and denial. "I didn't care" is also behavioural and not the kind of person I'd want to know.

Those interested in learning more about dog fighting, might like to watch the following documentary about dog fighting in Chicago.

They talk about the different types of dog fighting, the training and treatment of the dogs, how the children grow up desensitized to dog fighting, the difficulties they face in policing and prosecuting the cases, and so forth.