Epileptic Dog...kidneys

sheena

My daughter's maltese cross girl has been on epilepsy tablets for most of her 9 years. We have heard that this medication is not very good for their liver or kidney :D What can we give her to try & counteract this organ damage that the medication might be causing.

You cant really 'counteract' the effect. I would get your daughters dog a blood test which will show the kidney enzyme levels so you know if they have been affected or not.

If they have been you can feed a diet designed for kidneys which will be better for the kidneys rather than regular food and talk to the vet about other options :D

Sorry to say but there is not much you can do the only things I have found helpful is for them to be on the lowest possible effective dose , blood and urine checks regularly will help you to keep an eye on liver and kidney function esp with an older animal

I find a raw or wet diet helps a little as dry kibble diets tends to mean the animal spends a lot of time drinking large amounts of water and being almost dehydrated at times this adds to the load on the kidneys and liver