10 Month Old Goldie - How Long For Daily Walks?

Snowball

Hi

Our goldie loves going for walks. Can goldie breeders or those in the know please tell me how long is a good safe time to take her for her daily walk. Currently we do half an hour, can we increase that?

We will be quite busy in the next month or so, so would ideally love to tire her out so she can go in her run for the day, but dont want to walk her too much and have problems later iywkim

any recommnedations on a good safe walking time appreciated.

thanks

Snowball

Does she get off leash play as well?

Guide dogs (NSW- have both labs and GRs in their puppy program) recommend that pups between 6-8 months should get upto 30 minutes on the leash each day as well as other short play sessions.

After 8 months they can get 30-60 minutes several times per day.

I have heard a lot of breeders recommend less than that though.

What has your breeder said?

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if I can get in touch with the breeder at the moment, therefore the question on here.

She is getting 30 min leash time at the moment, so sounds about right, although I would love to walk furhter if we could.

thanks

Snowball

Are you strolling walking or power walking? And yes is there any off lead time?

25 minutes is all I was doing when it was warmer and on holidays and that was everyday but we did cover about 2 1/2 km including a few minutes off lead at the local park (gave her the chance to stop and sniff and run while I kept going at the same speed). BUt that was power walking and kept us both fit.

Thing is the more you increase the walk the fitter the dog will eventually get so you wont be able to 'tire them out' as they just get fitter but its also about the outing too. However if you are just going for a quiet walk or stroll they wont get the heart rate up and wont use up energy as a brisk walk will.

hmm, probably a medium walk, not power and not stroll. The thing I worry about with the larger breeds is hip problems etc and I have read too much excericse too soon can possibly exacebrate this later.... therefore the question.

It is hard knowing what is the best to do for them, she would quite happily race around all day if we let her, non stop :)

If you want her to be relaxed when put in her run- then a couple of 5 to 10 minute obedience sessions during her walk- really making her work- will help do this :)

A walk should be work of sorts- with sniffing , toileting ,done when YOU say so :p That way , she is concentrating and using her brain as well as her body ... :laugh:

Edited by persephone