Rescue Chookies!

Nekhbet

*sigh* my brother wants to know:

Are they physically alright? Some guys here said they may be diseased if they weren't free range.

I cant speak for these guys as i dont know, but the ones my gran got had plucked each other mostly naked and had there beaks clipped - feathers grew back pretty quick and beaks never seemed to bother them. Perhaps jump on FB and ask the people organising? I am assuming they wouldn't be diseased if they are going to go as pet food (that could just be me being naive).

*sigh* my brother wants to know:

Are they physically alright? Some guys here said they may be diseased if they weren't free range.

I cant speak for these guys as i dont know, but the ones my gran got had plucked each other mostly naked and had there beaks clipped - feathers grew back pretty quick and beaks never seemed to bother them. Perhaps jump on FB and ask the people organising? I am assuming they wouldn't be diseased if they are going to go as pet food (that could just be me being naive).

What DA said. They'll probably be missing some feathers and their beaks will have been clipped. From what I've been told, they'll need to stay in an enclosed space to begin with (if they're battery hens they've never been out in the open) and gradually introduced to bigger spaces. They will need deep dishes for their feed and water because of their beaks and they may not grow all their feathers back. They're unlikely to be diseased, just worn out from the way they've been living and possibly more susceptible to disease once out in the world because their immune systems will be weak. They'll just need a bit of tlc to get them back on their feet.

I'm not saying don't rescue them, I love ISA's and have a bunch of ex battery hens myself and I love them. Just that they are not going to be super producers like their first year of life and some have big issues. The first few weeks are a bit touchy for them as well, they are susceptible to respiratory disease. One tip as well is that the baldest ones are the most prolific layers, they put everything into egg production rather than feathers.

Dammit! If our current house allowed it, we'd take as many as possible.

I have fond memories of my chickens perching on my bedposts when I was a kid. They'd come inside for winter and I'd end up with 5 or 6 in or on my bed, pecking my cereal in the morning, bathing in the shower :laugh:

I have some work people interested.. so far about 60 can come here to Canberra ;)

:D :rofl::eek::(

Awesome effort. We think we can pick up approx 300 - so lets aim for that shall we? So far i have 30 from FB + our 20 + your 60 + how ever many LC wants. So we are on our way :p

Nekhbet i cant thank you enough for posting this ;)