Poodle Question

blonde

Hi, I am not sure if this question belongs in this catefgory so my apologies if it doesnt. I am interested to know if there are different types of poodle coats...i am interested in a standard poodle, but it would be likely that i get one interstate so thereofre have to rely on photo's-a lot of photo's i have seen have puppies with a thick textured coat which looks great, then i have seen a photo with a feathery trype of coat and i dont know if its because it was just brushed or it it fine and not of good quality...any advice on what i should be looking for in a coat just from pictures??? Thank you

Poodle coats do vary tremendously. There is no way that you can tell coat texture from a photo, you need to put your hands in it. Good or bad grooming & style can be make photos quite deceptive.

There is the ideal very thick & fairly coarse textured coat that stays in place & shape when groomed but it can be difficult for a pet owner to look after & sometimes a softer coat is easier.

Some coats are very profuse & thick but soft to feel & get tiny sort of pin knots in quite quickly, which are a pain.

Coat should not be ever be sparse but like in people the texture can be so variable.

Puppy coat is not always a predictor of what adult coat will be.

You need to ask the breeder & hope for a straight forward answer.

As Christina said, it's hard to tell from the puppy coat, which tends to be fine & silky. If you can, have a look at both parents to see what their coats are like. I'm with you - I like the dense, profuse coat, although it can be harder to keep groomed.

This is my take on coats as both a poodle exhibitor and groomer

A poodles coat should be profuse and dense - it should not be silky and soft

I actually find the harsh coat that does not have a lot of the cotton woolly undercoat much easier to maintain

The softer coats look wonderful and plush when they are scissored up (require a mountain of hairspray if you are showing compared to ther harsher coats) I find these coats do matt and require a lot more attention.

Anything that is cotton woolly matts like crazy and requires constant brushing and combing.

An experienced breeder (particularly one who shows) will be able to give you a very good indication of what the puppies coat wil be like

JMO