Kennel Food / Water Retention

geo

Hi all, I've just been away and my young male who was 35kgs (trim, not desexed) came back from the kennels very skinny looking, but still healthy looking, though his coats a little dry.

My partner reckons the food we give him (eagle pack) may cause water retention, or just that bloated look, i never noticed it but did notice his loins weren't neatly tucked up, but now after 12 days in the kennels where he was fed chicken, rice and veggies all home made, his tummy is all tight as a dogs should be, this is why we were thinking that the food may be too much for him or making him bloated..?

Our bitch actually looks like she put on a little weight after being fed the same.

So can biscuits cause that bloated look? or water retention?

any thoughts?

Maybe he was a bit stressed and didnt eat well in the kennels and thats why hes lost weight or maybe the food they make has got a lot of rice and veg and not as much chicken that could be why hes lost weight and his coats a bit dry.Your girl might just be a better doer.I dont reckon its got much to do with the biscuits you feed but I might be wrong

Maybe he was a bit stressed and didnt eat well in the kennels and thats why hes lost weight or maybe the food they make has got a lot of rice and veg and not as much chicken that could be why hes lost weight and his coats a bit dry.Your girl might just be a better doer.I dont reckon its got much to do with the biscuits you feed but I might be wrong

I thought this too, though last time he was there for 4 days and came back looking great..? the girl is a much better doer for sure, she could eat wood and still look great.

I was told by my vet that Hills I/D makes the dog bloated and I proved it myself by substituting home made food for a while.

So it is not that bigger stretch to think that dry dogfood in general could make the dog bloated.

Of course there may be other reasons the dog is thinner looking when it has just been at boarding kennels for a while.

It may have been more active in the kennels because of all the stimulation and noise in a kennel situation.