What Do You Think ?

Cupcakes r yum

From another perspective, when people see the prefix of your dog if the breeder is very infamous they may automatically think you condone this person crossbreeding or worse! You may face snobbery from the prefix alone.

I show a Chessie, I have had three people make snide remarks to me about my "labs" coat which is apparently incorrect. Some people feel a need to give an opinion about your dog at dogs shows, so as long as your daughter is prepared for the possible negative comments go ahead, I don't think people should show dogs if they don't have a thick skin.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some really good points made in this thread. I have jumped from one view to another upon reading good arguements, and now dont know where I stand. But I thought I would suggest that if you decide not to show this dog, there are plenty of other ways your daughter can get involved with her dog. Joining a dog club and doing obedience training would be a good start (she is old enough to handle in obedience classes I think) and can eventually compete if she wants to. Bites are not important in obedience!

There are also other ways to get involved in an Ag show - does the one you are going to have cooking or art competitions? If so perhaps your daughter could enter those. Just going to the show and watching the breeds being judged can be great fun - and perhaps your daughter can introduce herself to a few local exhibitors and let them know she is interested in handling.

Good luck, whatever you decide :-)