How Do I Capture A Dog Moving Quickly?

goldee

I recently just bought a Canon 500D. Its my first SLR, i have had a digital camera that looked like an SLR and had a lot of features but it was still a point and shoot. I am having trouble working out the settings to be able to catch my dog on the 'move'!. When she runs or moves quickly the photos are blurry. I was told to use Alservo and a quicker shutter speed. Maybe im not doing it right as they are still blurry! I just have the small basic lens that came with it 18-55mm

If any one has any advice or tips how to capture that moment quickly, be very appreciated! Thank you

Edited by goldee

ISO on 400, APerture on F8 and shutter speed on 1/1000th on the M setting

Stand with your back to the sun pointing towards the dogs and have it on AI Servo for focus. Use the continuous shutter keep the centre rectangle in the viewfinder on the dog and your photos should be nice and clear.

ISO on 400, APerture on F8 and shutter speed on 1/1000th on the M setting

Stand with your back to the sun pointing towards the dogs and have it on AI Servo for focus. Use the continuous shutter keep the centre rectangle in the viewfinder on the dog and your photos should be nice and clear.

Excellent, thank you. I'll give it ago!