Pet Insurance

allie181

I am with Petplan, have been for just over a year now, my dog has terrible allergies and they have been very good, paying for all his tests, immunotherapy etc. No hassles so far. I pay $40 a month on the standard cover, my premium never went up even though I claimed around $5000 the year before. I think I have around $14000 a year as a max.

I have done some research today on the ins and outs of this. It might pay to look at your policy PDS as you might well find that although they have paid $5000 the year before presumably this is all for what they say is a chronic condition (ie something that is ongoing for more than three months) that over a period of years it will be capped at $14000 in total not per year for the allergies. This would mean that maybe five years or less down the track you have used up the maximum benefit for that particular allergy condition and then you would pay yourself after that. Also if you check your PDS there is likely to be a clause which says to the effect that the insurer can vary the policy condition at renewal. This is what happened to me and although I did not use my maximum for the cancer they have varied it to mean I have to pay 60% and they pay 40% after the excess has been taken out.

There are three different pet insurance underwriters in Australia. I have seen basically how one of them words their policies and I am going to look at the wordings of the other two over the next couple of days. Hollard underwrites Bow Wow along with a number of previously mentioned insurers in this topic.

I was informed that Petsure underwrote a number of insurance policies with the companies mentioned in the thread, however I have since found out that hollard actually do underwrite Medibank, but petsure do the administration of the policies. I'm sure they are all in bed with each other anyway.

Bow Wow informed me that petsure underwrites them, but perhaps it's the same scenario as with medibank, petsure may be the administration arm of hollard. Something worth looking into. Of the 8 I looked at they were all tied up with hollard or petsure.

Bow Wow informed me that petsure underwrites them, but perhaps it's the same scenario as with medibank, petsure may be the administration arm of hollard. Something worth looking into. Of the 8 I looked at they were all tied up with hollard or petsure.

Bow Wow is underwritten by Hollard

We went with Medibank Private (as our pvt health is with them) and took the Gold Paws option which gives me a $100 excess and a $15000 limit per year for each dog. On top of that I get a total of $165 per dog per year to go towards routine care, ie: heartworm, flea control, teeth cleans etc.

Would you knoe if the $15000 linmit per year for each dog is per type of claim? ie cancer $15000 per year Also once you have reached say $15000 for ongoing cancer treatment over a few years does it get capped at that amount if it was to cost more over a number of years.

Hey Smiley,

I will let you know when I ring them monday to put in a claim, they should be able to clear that up, I read the PDS to see but it wasn't clear cut (to me anyway).

Also will let you all know how I go with making a claim. My little man has a mystery skin issue, it doesn't look traditionally like fungal/infected/worm related so the vets are a bit stumped, we've done steroids/antihistamines, now we're moving on to antibiotics and if that doesn't work, when he's neutered in a fortnight they'll do a puncture biopsy and send it off. The spots/lumps/sores (they are very strange) don't bother him in anyway, not sore, not itchy nothing. Just look really ugly poor fella.

Also I have purchased flea treatments and had heartworming done so will see how I go on the claim for routine care as well.

Cheers Aleesha

Hi Allie,

I've been with Bow Wow for several years now and have been happy with them. I have made two claims and they were paid with no problems at all. I have the $100 excess for $8000 cover for each dog (I pay $58.65 per month for two dogs). Good luck.

I forgot to add that Choice Magazine did a comparison of pet insurance not so long ago and Bow Wow came out on top. It is worthwhile getting a hold of that article as it really goes indepth to all the funds available and gives honest pros and cons for each one. Not one policy is perfect, they all have good and not so good points.

• 3 weeks later...

There are really two options

1) PetPlan

2) The rest (as all underwritten by Holland).

The ones underwritten by Holland can add clauses as they see fit (or potential of $$ disappearing from their profits) every 12 months at policy renewal.

PetPlan don't do that. For life. Yes have to pay co-share as get older, but at least that is a known!