Excessive Barking On Lead

lopolla

When i took my pup to obedience I found that the MANY dogs that were non stop barking didn't really make for a nice environment for me or for her.

Really, you'd think an obedience school would have better behaved dogs LO

whats the point of a school if everyone is already well behaved and knows everything?

It wouldn't have surprised me if it was dogs in the lower classes, but it was actually worse in the dogs in the "higher" levels.

I would have thought teaching a dog to be quiet and calm around other dogs would be one of the most basic things to achieve before progressing to more challenging things :D

I could totally understand if an effort was being made by the trainer to help a dog, like Banjo, who had barking issues, but there was no attempt made by anyone to get these dogs to be quiet. When I raised some concerns after class, the only response i got was that "the dogs were excited" and about my own dogs ability to handle the class "she'll get over it, she has a nice sit"

Edited by aussielover

How is she behaved at obedience?

When i took my pup to obedience I found that the MANY dogs that were non stop barking didn't really make for a nice environment for me or for her.

Really, you'd think an obedience school would have better behaved dogs LOL

she barks when first gets out of the car at obedience but not during the classes. she just wants to play with the other dogs and i see her eyeballing them sometimes for a play but i try and move her attention away. she just doesnt really concentrate on me at obedience, she does listen, sits etc and is very food orientated. but she is known for the one with bad recall at obedience, no matter how good she is when its just me and her, it all goes out the window at training when other dogs are around to play haha

This post tells me that you have attended an obedience club but no one has taught you how to train a puppy. So back to my original statement, the dog is basically still untrained. Learning how to sit is not being trained. Learning how to concentrate on the handler is being trained.

she has been trained, obedience club every weekend up until recently when i have had to take more shifts at work the same day as obedience. she is not perfect, neither am i, but i have taken her to obedience quiet regularly.

it is not really an option to contact the breeder at this current time and as i said i have been to obedience, however i am looking for another club as i do not like the one i am currently signed up to.

thankyou

Absolutely find a new club then, because the current club have not taught you how to deal with a working breed. Barking at dogs or people when out walking is just not something that should be happening with a dog that has been trained correctly in the presence of other dogs. Teaching them to ignore all distractions when working should have been the most important thing they taught you. Find a good club and ask advice from the head trainer, not just whoever is assigned to your class.

The barking at people looking over your fence or gait is perfectly normal. Dogs guard their territory and while most learn to accept that we allow people to enter our front door, most dogs with any guarding instinct will not accept anyone approaching the house from the fence or gates. Teaching a good reliable come to heel and drop can help you control her more in these situations but don't reprimand her for protecting you and your property. If a burglar decides to try to get over your fence I'm sure you would want the dog to stop them.

i havn't really reprimanded her when she barks inside the fence, only when im trying to talk to someone and cant hear cause shes right next to me barking i try and get her to sit or distract her somehow.

if you have any suggestions for clubs (if you know any in melbourne area) that would be great :D

whats the point of a school if everyone is already well behaved and knows everything?

lopolla sent you a PM

Yeah I hate that.

At least 3 clubs I contacted wouldn't even accept me and Banjo when I said he barks all through the lesson- becuase they said none of the dogs would learn anything. What a load of bullcrap! Yeah lets start an obedience club but only take well behaved dogs *slaps forehead*

Lol it worked out for the best anyway because I have such a great club now that helps ALL dogs when they need it most.

haha whats the point of them is they arn't willing to help with people and their dogs who actually need it!

It wouldn't have surprised me if it was dogs in the lower classes, but it was actually worse in the dogs in the "higher" levels.

I would have thought teaching a dog to be quiet and calm around other dogs would be one of the most basic things to achieve before progressing to more challenging things :D

I could totally understand if an effort was being made by the trainer to help a dog, like Banjo, who had barking issues, but there was no attempt made by anyone to get these dogs to be quiet. When I raised some concerns after class, the only response i got was that "the dogs were excited" and about my own dogs ability to handle the class "she'll get over it, she has a nice sit"

i got the same sort of thing in puppy class "oh shes just a puppy she'll be fine" but then as soon as she was old enough to move out of puppy class they expected her to be completely well behaved!

i also had issues at the club as another dog same age would constantly get aggressive towards my dog, i always stayed completely away but the owner was like "oh they liek to play together" - it was much more than just playing, this dog was trying to be dominate which is fine, but she was letting her get away with way too much! brought it up with the trainer and he said "oh just walk away" !!!

I used one of Ceasar Milans technique's, ( sure i will get flamed :D ), but it did work.

My cattle dog can be aggro onlead, even if he has just beeen playing offlead with them, if they bark at him on lead he launches at them.

so, i tried the trick where you prod them quickly in the side to distract them, not hard, but makes him jump and take note of me, he soon stopped doing it. ;)

Ivy is a well balanced girl, she doesnt show any physical signs of agression at all, in fact she is very social. She barks whilst still doing her job if that makes sense. She doesnt look worried or anxious. Its bizzare, could be a confidence or protective (guarding) issue, but certainly not a warning type aggro bark. She is very responsive one on one. Very noice pup.

We have barkers at our obedience classes and the first thing the trainer says is move your dog away, and she has gotten all the dogs to stop barking just by making some distance between dogs, separating certain dogs. If they refuse to have your dog because they are a barker then find another class.

We have barkers at our obedience classes and the first thing the trainer says is move your dog away, and she has gotten all the dogs to stop barking just by making some distance between dogs, separating certain dogs. If they refuse to have your dog because they are a barker then find another class.

she doesnt bark during class :rofl: but i am going to find another club anyway due to other reasons

Ivy is a well balanced girl, she doesnt show any physical signs of agression at all, in fact she is very social. She barks whilst still doing her job if that makes sense. She doesnt look worried or anxious. Its bizzare, could be a confidence or protective (guarding) issue, but certainly not a warning type aggro bark. She is very responsive one on one. Very noice pup.

i am going to look into finding a new club i can attend on evenings. if anyone knows any in the northern suburbs of melbourne please let me know.

i will also look at one-on-one as an option just to get an assesement.

thanks all for advice, will keep updated!