Pig Dogs

amy_h

As almost all have some bull blood in them, and as my 4 dogs serve there occupation, i was just wondering if anyone can update me on the nsw & qld restrictions on owning pig dogs? i remember at one stage they were trying to bring in in NSW that all 'hunting' dogs (which would bring your retrievers, hounds and terriers into that classification technically as there original conception were for seeking and retreiving game, bailing and destroying vermin) were immediately classified as dangerous - has this happened?

Hmmmm.... I was pretty sure they were keen to bring it in, that all hunting dogs (individually not as a breed cos if anyone knows most of the pig dogs running round are of dubious tracable breeding) were to be classed as 'dangerous' regardless of their history, just because of their occupation. i last looked into it about 3 years ago... does anyone have any links that might be able to assist me?

Dogs that are actively used for hunting ( other than small vermin and retrieving birds etc ) are considered in NSW , under the CAA to be "dangerous". They are to be kept in a chidl proof enclosure etc.

This was the NSW Gov's response to the death of Tyra Kuene

It is not based on breed or cross and is not part of BSL, you can own any breed or cross ( other than those that are "restricted" ) and they do not fall under the act, unless you keep and use them to hunt with.

COMPANION ANIMALS ACT 1998 - SECT 33

Meaning of “dangerous”

33 Meaning of “dangerous”

(1) For the purposes of this Division, a dog is "dangerous" if it:

(a) has, without provocation, attacked or killed a person or animal (other than vermin), or

(b) has, without provocation, repeatedly threatened to attack or repeatedly chased a person or animal (other than vermin), or

© has displayed unreasonable aggression towards a person or animal (other than vermin), or

(d) is kept or used for the purposes of hunting.

(2) A dog is not, for the purposes of subsection (1) (d), to be regarded as being kept or used for the purposes of hunting if it is used only to locate, flush, point or retrieve birds or vermin. "Vermin" for the purposes of this subsection includes small pest animals only (such as rodents).

Note: If a hunting dog is declared to be a dangerous dog, the declaration does not necessarily mean that the dog cannot be used for the purposes of lawful hunting-see section 51 (3).

Edited by ReadySetGo

What a load of crap. I remember when Tyra was killed it was a terrible terrible thing. I wonder if poiters, retrievers and bailers are classed as hunting dogs as well as luggers. Im guessing its only poor old pig dogs

thanks ready set go for finding that for me...

do you know of any such legislation affeacting queenland?