Bad Behaviour

Staffygirl88

My Amstaff puppy is 9 weeks old tomorrow. She hides under things and then chews them. She is generally pretty well behaved because I am quick to correct her if she does something I don't like, such as jumping up on me or my little boy or trying to get on the couch etc. I have a Commodore in my driveway and when I take her outside she runs underneath it! This is a really bad habit for her to get into, I know she won't be able to do it for long because she crawls under it now but I don't want her to go near cars at all. She also climbs under my dining table, then lies on her back and chews the wood!!! This is really frustrating, the table is brand new and it's hard for me to stay calm when she chews on it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated please

She is not being 'naughty' - she is being a baby/puppy . IMO, 'Naughty' is when a dog KNOWS the rules , has been taught the rules, but then does something opposite . Even then, it is usually owner fault :laugh:

It is an owner's task to GUIDE a pup into correct and appropriate behaviour ... so- have her confined so she cannot get to the dining table... or distract her with REALLY fun toys/bones, or spray the underside of the table with something bought from a pet supply store ...Bitter Bite or similar - tastes horrible, and deters chewing .

Running under the car? perfectly normal ..puppies LOVE tunnels and dens and hidey holes.

Keep pup on a leash ,or perhaps have the drive sectioned off when she is out there?

Call her out in a very friendly voice, and reward her with praise or treats or a favourite toy , when she is with you....

Edited by persephone

Sounds like an ordinary puppy looking for a nice dark den.

Why dont' you give her one?

Buy her a metal crate, cover it with a blanket and she'll have a nice place to take the chew treats (growing pups need to work their jaws) you give her and you'll have a place she can be secured when you can't supervise her.

Have a search on the term "crate training" here. Its kept many a puppy owner sane. :laugh:

I know she is being a puppy/baby, naughty's just a term and she doesn't know any better.

She has a crate that is covered up so it's dark for her. Sounds like I'll just have to keep her away from anything sge can get under

I'd suggest you find a permanent method of separating her from the car as soon as possible.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. :laugh:

I know she is being a puppy/baby, naughty's just a term and she doesn't know any better.

She has a crate that is covered up so it's dark for her. Sounds like I'll just have to keep her away from anything sge can get under

I'd suggest you find a permanent method of separating her from the car as soon as possible.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. :laugh:

Until I can trust her to listen to me when I call I'll have to keep her away from cars. She travels in it fine :crazy: But I can't risk her being run over that's why I'm worried about it in the first place. Atleast she won't be able to crawl under it for long, then hopefully she'll lose interest in cars when she's too big too get underneath them?

Until I can trust her to listen to me when I call I'll have to keep her away from cars. She travels in it fine :crazy: But I can't risk her being run over that's why I'm worried about it in the first place. Atleast she won't be able to crawl under it for long, then hopefully she'll lose interest in cars when she's too big too get underneath them?

As people have learned the hard way, there there is no safe place for an unrestrained dog near a moving car other than in it.

You really don't want to go through the heartache of having her run over in your own yard. Find a way of making a permanent barrier between her and the driveway/parkng area and she'll be a hell of a lot safer for the rest of her life.

All she has to do is fall asleep behind a wheel or run to greet the car and you'll have a disaster on your hands. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan