Desexing

aussielover

Glad you posted this topic aussielover, Link got spayed yesterday and when we got her home she was very groggy, staring into space and very sleepy, this morning was a whole different story she was starving and had a lot more energy but definetly not ready for play, she tried to jump which was followed by a yelp. i built her a ramp to the couch to stop her jumping and have discouraged active play. having to watch her like a hawk though cause she occasionally tries to lick her wound.

Aww how nice of you!!!

Are you crating her?

Mindy was picked up today to have the surgery tomorrow.

Because she will be returned to us on friday, I don't think she will be groggy at all.

When I mentioned crating her, they seemd to think this was over the top (in a good way) and said that the puppies seemed to recover very quickly.

I will be palying it safe with her though, she is usually quite good at settling, she knows being tied up means rest time and will go to her bed and lie there if instructed. But this is when she gets regular exercise so not sure how she'll go with no running at the park.......

Glad you posted this topic aussielover, Link got spayed yesterday and when we got her home she was very groggy, staring into space and very sleepy, this morning was a whole different story she was starving and had a lot more energy but definetly not ready for play, she tried to jump which was followed by a yelp. i built her a ramp to the couch to stop her jumping and have discouraged active play. having to watch her like a hawk though cause she occasionally tries to lick her wound.

Aww how nice of you!!!

Are you crating her?

Because she will be returned to us on friday, I don't think she will be groggy at all.

When I mentioned crating her, they seemd to think this was over the top (in a good way) and said that the puppies seemed to recover very quickly.

I will be palying it safe with her though, she is usually quite good at settling, she knows being tied up means rest time and will go to her bed and lie there if instructed. But this is when she gets regular exercise so not sure how she'll go with no running at the park.......

no she never took to the crate we have a playpen for her, I am worried that if i leave her in it too long she might get bored and go for the wound though so I am letting her stay in the lounge and just watching her, they said the first three days are the most important.

Thats what we are worried about, link normally gets walked twice a day and we always go to the park fro a run, but we can't go for awhile so I think she is going to be a bit frustrated cooped up, but at least in a week or so she should be ready to go again.

Goodluck with mindy, she will be fine :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I've crated Buffy for 8 weeks when she broke her leg before, so I'd have no hesitations to crate her for 10 days if she decides she's going to be silly after her op. Though from what I've read it doesn't seem necessary.

I'd probably assess her on a day by day basis to see what actions were necessary to prevent her from being too hyper.

I hand walked, short 15 min walks. If he got psycho he got put behind the baby gate in a smaller area. He did try and lick the stitches too much so I had to leave the cone on his head (better than taking it on and off all the time in my view). She'll be fine without exercise, my boy has been cooped up for various reasons recovering from this and that (longest in my house without going out at all was over a month), it's only 10 days and better that everything heal correctly so it isn't longer.

Edited by Rottigirl

I hand walked, short 15 min walks. If he got psycho he got put behind the baby gate in a smaller area. He did try and lick the stitches too much so I had to leave the cone on his head (better than taking it on and off all the time in my view). She'll be fine without exercise, my boy has been cooped up for various reasons recovering from this and that (longest in my house without going out at all was over a month), it's only 10 days and better that everything heal correctly so it isn't longer.

One thing I have noticed about link is that she hasnt barked for three days, she did one lil bark on the first day but it was followed by a small yelp, so i guess it still hurts when she barks ( when she barks her whole body moves :grouphug: )

today she is much more lively and tried to do zoomies so we have blocked off all her run ways, but for the first few days she was sleeping a lot.

I think by tomoro she will be herself although we still have to be careful touching around her belly, if we get too close she runs under the couch.

poor lil pup.

how is mindy?

Mindy is back!

She is fine :(

She is probably a little sore, as she seems a bit quieter than usual, thoughthe first thing she did was run up the stairs (which she is not allowed to do)

She was well-behaved in the kennels and in the van, unlike her brother i'm told :grouphug:

she is a very accepting dog though and seemed to take well to the kennel environment which is a good sign. It is nice to know she doesn't stress.

Will be keeping her crated today and tomorrow and we'll see how things go from there. Will not be taking her out today at all, i think she can just stay at home and rest. She has an ecollar, but I will only put that on when i can't directly supervise her.

Am very impressed with her wound though, it is only about 3cm long, quite good for a largish dog i reckon!

I may take her for a short leash walk on sunday if she is getting a bit restless.

how many days should I take off work after Luda 'gets done'?

She is 6 months in 5 days.... So she needs to be done anytime now...

Would 5 days be enough do you think? (she is inside while I am at work)

Unless you can work from home I wouldn't bother taking more than one day off.

It is pretty boring because you can't walk them or anything, you just have to sit around and watch them.

She'll be better off just having quiet time on her own i think.

You could have it done on a thursday, pick her up friday and then have the weekend though if you wer ereally concerned.

I hope it all goes well! Did you get to do it yourself? I love surgery, but wouldn't be too keen to operate on my own furries - I know students & vets who do, though.

I hope it all goes well! Did you get to do it yourself? I love surgery, but wouldn't be too keen to operate on my own furries - I know students & vets who do, though.

No, I didn't do it, she actually went back out to guide dogs to get it done. I don't think they'd entrust a potentially $30 000 puppy to a vet student either :laugh:

No, I didn't do it, she actually went back out to guide dogs to get it done. I don't think they'd entrust a potentially $30 000 puppy to a vet student either :(

LOL, I guess not, I didn't think of that! Luckily we get all the local SPCA cases here to spay, but we've done pets too, and that's a little more nerve wracking since you know how special they are to their owners. Good thing we have real vets looking over our shoulders the entire time! :D

Glad your dog is ok... :eek:

Nandi was desexed on Thursday and I never realize how active she was until I had the job of keeping her still..... it’s almost impossible. :eek:

She is in a big crate (2 x her normal crate) 60% of the time with short walks/breaks every hour or so... the moment I let her out she goes into full zoomie mode..... :thumbsup: