Diarrohea

Apologies in advance for the gross subject.

Just looking for guidance/reassurance from the DOL gurus. One of our dogs (deerhound x) has had runny poop since lunch time yesterday. Not constant, but when she does go, it is not formed in anyway.

She has had chicken and rice this morning (this is not a dog that can afford to lose weight - we've actually been trying to put weight on her). She is alert and hungry for food - just a bit less active than usual. Oh, and also seems to be drinking as well.

So, when do you decide that a dog with the runs needs to go to the vet? We seem to be a "frequent vet visitor" with this girl, so don't know if I'm over-reacting by thinking about taking her this afternoon, or if I should wait another 12-24 hours?

Is it very watery?

Check her hydration by pinching the skin on her neck- it should fall back into place very quickly. If it takes a while to fall back into place- she is dehydrated and seeing the vet would be a good idea.

I would see the vet if:

The poo is very watery

she is dehydrated

she becomes lethargic; not wanting to rise and not eating

I wouldn't say her poos are watery - more sloppy and unformed. They're still about their normal colour, if that makes sense.

Just did the pinch test with the skin on her neck - seems to be falling back into place quickly. I'll check it again in a little while.

She's still drinking and still eating - she is actually very hungry, but we're limiting her food at the moment. Not lethargic - happy to walk around with you, just not her normal zoomie self (who would be with an upset tum?!)

I also checked her gums which seem moist (seem to remember someone said it can be a sign of dehydration if they're dry???)

I would just keep an eye on her then, if it persists after a few days then maybe take her to the vet (or if she goes downhill).

My puppy has had sloppy poo for up to a week at a time (though we think it is due to a possible intolerance/allergy) and remains very bright and playful (and hungry!!!)